Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

Need help identifying for my 1st attempt restore.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Mannie, May 16, 2018.

1. Mannie

Mannie New Member

Hello. I am taking on my first restoration project. I have a few pieces to work with, but have been stumped with this one piece. Any input is much appreciated. I have been to several antique gun dealers and no one has any solid info. It was being used as a wall ornament. 20180516_104145.jpg 20180516_104225.jpg 20180516_104210.jpg

2. Shrek73

Shrek73 Well-Known Member

It appears to be a Middle Eastern designed flintlock using a snaphaunce lock, and inlayed with bone. The quality is very poor. Below is a photo of a similar pistol of higher quality to compare it with. It may be a tourist trade piece...

Can you remove the lock and get better pictures of it?

Attached Files:

3. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

It's what's left of a Middle Eastern or North African snaphaunce pistol. I don't believe it to be a modern tourist trade piece but the lock isn't original to the stock. It might have been assembled from antique parts in more recent times.

It's in the wall hanger class, you aren't likely to find a barrel for it but a rusty piece of pipe the right size will make it look complete when hanging on a wall somewhere. ;)

Jolly Bill and joe45c like this.
  4. Mannie

Mannie New Member

Thanks so much for the info. I am starting project today will post the results next week.

Shrek73 and Grizzley1 like this.