The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a shotgun laying around for years that I got from my Mom.

It is a single shot, 20 gauge shotgun. I think my Mom got it used around 1970.

It has a crome receiver and says HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON ARMS CO.
Line 2 says Bay State (this is written vs typed)
Line 3 says Worcester,MASS.U.S.A

On the top of the 28 inch barrel it says MADE IN U.S.A. 20 GA.CHOKE

Behind the trigger guard is a serial number A807018.

The wood portions of the gun are painted red.

Total gun length is 43 inches.

No year of manufacture.

Can anyone tell me what this is and what year it was made? The stock is cracked and I'm thinking of getting it replace. can't look for the part since I don't know what the gun is.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
If you use the search feature and type in Bay state, you should come up with a previous posts in reference to your shotgun. There was a Bay State Arms co. but it was history by the time your shotgun was made. Bay State was a trade name that single barrel H&R's were sold. from1932 until the mid to late 1940's.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
According to my references, it is either a #7 or #9. Unfortunately that is still pretty vague. And can find no further info. How badly cracked is the stock? Perhaps it can be fairly easily repaired.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked the previous post, not sure it was the one you meant. But I had found something that indicated H&R's labeled the way mine was were dated between 1908 and 1942. Sounds like the real range is 1932 - 1942....

thanks, making progress.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe the stock can be repaired. I was trying to decide if it was worth the time and cost. A gunsmith suggested I see if I could find a replacement stock.

But more than anything else, I'm curious. I'll probably never hunt with hit. My 870 seems to do very well with birds.

Thanks for helping me along.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have an ancient 20 ga Topper. At some point around WWII the wood got eaten and my u cle carved new stocks. Still a good truck and snake gun.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
These old guns are as common as liars in Washington. Watch the varios gun auctions and ebay and you should be able to fairly quickly find replacement stocks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts