The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To my understanding I believe it's manufactured around the 1880's or 90's. Its a 3 digit serial number of 184 all matching. And its a 6 shot which I really found interesting because majority of the ones out there are 5 shot models. I tried calling the H&R Department but I wasn't really given any information at all other than the fact that there was a fire that happened around around the 40's that destroyed most of the old documents. Any information will be gladly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
"Most" of the H&R revolvers I see at local gun shows go for the $100 area - depending on condition. Most are in the same condition - poorly. I have not seen a six shot before so it very well "may" bring a small premium in price. Good luck in your quest.

Reactions: Matthew Guerrero

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
It may be chambered in .32 S&W Long as opposed to the .32 S&W like the smaller frame revolvers. Iver Johnson did this with their large frame revolvers, which allowed for 6 rounds.

How long is the cylinder?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It may be chambered in .32 S&W Long as opposed to the .32 S&W like the smaller frame revolvers. Iver Johnson did this with their large frame revolvers, which allowed for 6 rounds.

How long is the cylinder?
I'd have to measure it when I get home, I will reply when I get a precise measurement.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
There should be a caliber marking on the gun. What does it say?
The .32s were 6 shot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There should be a caliber marking on the gun. What does it say?
The .32s were 6 shot.
It does not but I took it to a gunsmith and measured the bore as well as the cylinder slots to confirm it was actually chambered for S&W .32 Long, but Im not sure if it uses black or smokeless powder at this point.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Again, I am no expert on H&R's but on the Iver Johnson 3rd Model, which was made for smokeless ammo, they made several changes from the black powder 1st and 2nd Models. They changed the mainspring from a leaf spring to a coil spring and added an independent cylinder stop to prevent the cylinder from free spooling. H&R and Iver Johnson were similar enough that they may have made similar changes after one company made an improvement

They cylinder on yours appears to have D shape notches which will allow it to free spool. I would be hesitant to fire smokeless thru it...

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
I believe they added the caliber markings after they switched to a smokeless frame. I also would not shoot smokeless ammo in such a rare gun. You didn't have t take it to a gun smith to determine the caliber. If a pencil fits the barrel with out too much slop it is 32, if, using a ruler it comes close to 38/100 of an inch then it is 38, you don't even have to be precise in your measurements , in this case , 32 S&W Short. Good luck and shoot safe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts