The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
This rifle was given to me very recently by my grandfather. He got it from one of his brothers who was in occupied Japan after the bombs dropped. I've been doing online research and took it to two separate shops in which both could not solidly nail down this type of rifle. It appears to have been canabalized and used in combat; the only thing that we can nail down is that it is the Arisaka family and it (might) be a type 6.5

I've got a lot of pictures so I'll post what I can and any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

*Just a heads up* this rifle is not for sale, I am looking to find out its' story and its' history.

View attachment 128078 View attachment 128079 View attachment 128080 View attachment 128081 View attachment 128082 View attachment 128083 View attachment 128084 View attachment 128085 View attachment 128086

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The mum is not present; the mum was never present and the symbols that should be on the receiver are not present nor were they ever. The symbols that might identify the type and model are on the barrel and are vertical rather than horizontal.

There used to be a shoulder strap attachment on the left side of the stock (which also has a metal/iron butt plate) but was moved to the underside near the rear. There are two markings on the raw wood of the stock underneath the butt plate that look like a 58 or 85, very slashy and quick.

It is missing the front sight, the bi-pod, cleaning rod, strap and bayonet.

The firing vent hole is on the side as well as the top of the barrel where the writing is. The serial numbers or whatever numbers they are that are on the bolt, bolt release, bayonet attachment point, receiver, and trigger are all different.

·
Premium Member
9,328 Posts
There are a couple guys here that can help I'm sure, just be patient. I can tell you it isn't a T38 which was chambered in 6.5 Jap. If it were it would have two vent holes.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
12,984 Posts
If the rear tang is an integral part of the receiver, not a separate component, I'd say what you have there is a school/training rifle made up on a cast iron receiver. If so, do not under any circumstance try to fire it - the cast iron receiver training rifles utilized wooden bullet blanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
http://oldmilitarymarkings.com/japanese_markings.html

Here is a place to start----should at least get you model/factory/series
I checked this BillM, it was a great site to get a lot of info but I need more specific bc I don't know what's what past the basics

If the rear tang is an integral part of the receiver, not a separate component, I'd say what you have there is a school/training rifle made up on a cast iron receiver. If so, do not under any circumstance try to fire it - the cast iron receiver training rifles utilized wooden bullet blanks.
Thanks nmckenzie, I do not think that the rear tang is part of the receiver, I will definitely check though. Thats a big help, thank you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts