The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
3,841 Posts
I was just thinking the same thing, hrf. It sort of looks like the proof mark for Prague or Weipert, depending on which number it has stamped in the middle. It would be nice to see a more detailed photo of that mark. For comparison, some examples of that mark can be seen here: http://www.shotguns.se/html/austria_hungary.html

I can't find any information on that eagle cartouche holding what appears to be a J and a P. Between the style of the eagle and the overall looks of the pistol, it really does seem to be German or Austrian, or from somewhere in that area.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, with the help I have received, so far (and Thank You by the way), I have found some images with what looks to be newer versions of this gun, without the "J P" being held in the birds talons marking. I also found a WWII image of Czech troops under the exact same symbol as on the barrel, between the numbers. Would still like to try to get more specifics on the gun though...

Attachments

G

·
I agree on Czech proof mark, The K? under proof may be date code but a unfamiliar font to me. IMHO I think the J#P is a Family Crest by whom built it. Everything about it appears to be a custom type to me.

I maybe wrong, but it seems by your last photo you may be searching down a military connection? If so I beleive your on the wrong path. IMHO I think your search will come up empty as to another exact one. But I beleive experts will chime in if different. Good luck on the search. If it was mine I think I would find a old stock and make me a little broom handle out of it for some more appeal.

G

·
I think it is possible the speration by the proof mark is that the first four numbers to be serial and the 40 to be date of 1940, as I find it odd to break the serial numbers up.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree with everything you said, but I am not looking at military only. From the info I have been given in this thread, I have found that the maker Josef Pavlicek (a gun maker in Litomysl), made target shooting pistols, including this one, I believe. However; mine seems to be older than any of the models I have seen (including these below):

Attachments

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh, and none of the other Josef Pavlicek guns have either of the marks on them, than mine has. Some have import stamps/marks, when they are imported into other countries (UK in particular). But none have the numbers and stamp on the barrel, nor the J.P. stamp next to the hammer, or anywhere on them (that I can see). Also, all the others say "Made in Czechoslovakia", and mine doesn't.

Hopefully this will help someone get detailed info on my pistol. Thanks again all

· Registered
3,841 Posts
Pure speculation on my part, but I would agree that it's older than the other examples you showed. Since it lacks the commercial markings such as "made in Czechoslovakia", and the style is a bit different, it looks very much like what one would normally expect from pre-WWII manufacture. My gut was telling me it was made in the 1930s, but if that "40" is actually the date, it would fit in as well.

I'm also wondering if the wood is original or if it might be a custom replacement.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
To help identify this gun further, does anyone know the history of Josef Pavlicek? From everything I have been told so far, my gun is a Josef Pavlicek from 1940 (and the only one I, or anyone (so far), have seen with these markings). A few people have emailed me with verification that the "40" after the Czech emblem is the year. All the others were from the 50's or later (again, so far). I would like to know when he started making pistols, and for how long. I am not looking to sell, just hoping it is one of his earlier works (as none of the others, so far, have the year and J. P. eagle stamped). Thanks again everyone for your help!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.