The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought an old bolt action shotgun from a friend. After cleaning it up as best as I could I tried identifying it, but the only mark I could find was a little jm on the barrel. My research found it to be a Marlin 55, But I want to be sure as I need to buy a new magazine for it. Also is there anywhere else I could check for a serial number?
Brown Textile Sleeve Wood Comfort

Brown Textile Sleeve Wood Insect

Wood Animal product Sleeve Knife Shotgun

Brown Wood Natural material Hardwood Wood stain
Brown Musical instrument Wood String instrument Musical instrument accessory

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
13,160 Posts
I can’t help with the model but I’m glad you’re asking. One of the bolt action shotgun manufacturers had a huge recall, there was an issue with the bolt flying back, hitting the shooter in the face and the result was an untimely end to the shooter. Best eliminate yours as one of those before you move any further.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can’t help with the model but I’m glad you’re asking. One of the bolt action shotgun manufacturers had a huge recall, there was an issue with the bolt flying back, hitting the shooter in the face and the result was an untimely end to the shooter. Best eliminate yours as one of those before you move any further.
I did not realize that, though I did take it to a store to get it checked out before I even tried firing it. Thankfully it wasn't one of those when I tried it out. The store was not able to fully identify it either. Thanks for the warning.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would separate the stock from the receiver/barrel and look on the underside of the receiver/barrel for more markings and/or a serial number. The large screw on the bottom and front side of the plate that would receive the magazine should separate them. It's the screw at the top of the fifth picture you posted. I had an old Winchester Model 141 .22 lr bolt action that came apart this way.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would separate the stock from the receiver/barrel and look on the underside of the receiver/barrel for more markings and/or a serial number. The large screw on the bottom and front side of the plate that would receive the magazine should separate them. It's the screw at the top of the fifth picture you posted. I had an old Winchester Model 141 .22 lr bolt action that came apart this way.
I already took it apart like that and there were no markings, no number. I saw in another forum that marlin didn't put serial numbers on them till 68. And I believe the other markings of make and model were rusted off.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My Winchester Model 141 was pre-68 as well and had no serial number. It was marked on the barrel as to the make and model though. I thought maybe someone replaced the barrel and it tightened to where it was below the stock somewhere. If you really are fairly certain it's a Marlin Model 55, there is a magazine on ebay right now. It would be around $50 including shipping if you win the auction at the entry price. You can buy it now for $63.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My Winchester Model 141 was pre-68 as well and had no serial number. It was marked on the barrel as to the make and model though. I thought maybe someone replaced the barrel and it tightened to where it was below the stock somewhere. If you really are fairly certain it's a Marlin Model 55, there is a magazine on ebay right now. It would be around $50 including shipping if you win the auction at the entry price. You can buy it now for $63.
Got one from Numrich for ~$45 including shipping. I haven't had the chance to try it out as it is with another person right now.

·
Registered
183 Posts
copied and pasted from a marlin forum
The Model 55 was first introduced in 1954 by Marlin, and was a novel bolt-action design for the company. Using a one-piece uncheckered American walnut stock with a pistol grip and butt pad, it looked more like a rifle than a shotgun. It used a two-round detachable box magazine that would hold standard sized 2 3/4-inch shells; it was marketed in both 12-gauge and 16-gauge with a 28" barrel and 20-gauge with a 26" barrel. The barrel had basic brass bead front sight and a rear U-grove notch. Options included an end of barrel choke that was adjusted by the turn of a wrist. Overall length was 46-48" depending on the caliber and weight was less than 8-pounds.

·
Premium Member
22,952 Posts
It does have that birds eye plug in the stock that Marlin puts in their guns.
Yea it's for sure a Marlin. No other company use that bullseye in their stocks. Also has the JM marking on the barrel. Nobody else stamps that on their firearms. So Hawg is most likely right iding it as a Marlin 55.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yea it's for sure a Marlin. No other company use that bullseye in their stocks. Also has the JM marking on the barrel. Nobody else stamps that on their firearms. So Hawg is most likely right iding it as a Marlin 55.
I already bought a magazine for it and I am looking forward to testing it this weekend. I might post another thread about how it goes but idk.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.