The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello i recently inherited an old revolver and could use some help determining value and any information about the gun and the maker. I have attached pictures of the gun and the proof marks. after some research i have determined the maker as Dumoulin Freres, but that's all i know about it. Thanks and please help!

Attachments

·
Banned
5,425 Posts
Looks to be Belgian and made for black powder.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also there is a nice leather holster that it came with and paperwork from the army allowing my grandfather to bring it home as spoils of war. the serial number on the gun is 380 and it is a .32 caliber. firing pin is intact and gun is in great working condition. here are also a couple more pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
This one's a cut above most Belgian guns of this type, and actually has a named maker:

http://www.littlegun.be/arme belge/artisans identifies den/a dumoulin frere et cie gb.htm

"Bulldog" has become a generic term for small short-barreled revolvers of late 19th century, but mostly with a birds-head curved grip rather than the square grip this one has.

Lack of a crown on the ELG-oval proofmark dates it before 1893, so an antique in USA which is a plus, and the embellishments and provenance should also increase interest, possibly $200 plus?

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
It is old, it is engraved but, these were made by the tens of thousands and imported throughout Europe and the Americas. The engraving , while at first glance looks nice , close examination shows it to be poorly done bench engraving. An old gentleman siting at a bench with a hammer and chisel and whack, whack, push, push , next gun please. A classic case of old does not mean gold. Nice display piece but not high value. mSorry abut that. The right buyer may bring more, who knows.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.