The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have an old single shot 12ga. break barrel, no man. name has a nickel receiver with K K stamped on the side. anybody got any ideas on who made it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have no pic. & the gun is not w\me. it has a 5 digit serial #D2494 stamped in 5 or 6 different places. i have a friend who is a gunsmith or was he's in his late 90's and not computer savvy but he did suggest i try this route.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it does have a buttplate that say's simmons. the guy i got it from thought that was the man. i said i never heard of them & when he showed it to me it having nothing other than the two large K's on one side & matching serial # in 5 or 6 places. it is undoubtedly man. not just made by an old gunsmith.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Ah, that helps alot. Possibly (IMO probably) a store brand "Keen Kutter" brand sold by the Simmons Hardware Co. of St, Louis Mo. Probably made by the Crescent Firearms Co.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
K K was an abbreviation of Kleen Kutter, a trademark of the Simmons Hardware Co. of St Louis.

Vorisek's "Shotgun Markings" lists the K K brand as used on shotguns made by both Crescent Fire Arms Co. and Hopkins & Allen Arms Co. for Shapleigh Hardware, also of St Louis.

Simmons and Shapleigh were the largest hardware dealers in St Louis, and here's a knife collector's history of the founders:

http://www.knifecollector.net/ShapleighHardware.html

It's possible Vorisek got the two firms mixed up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
does it have any value? its old and pitted still tight, wouldn't be afraid to fire it just nothing special about it that i can spot.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
does it have any value? its old and pitted still tight, wouldn't be afraid to fire it just nothing special about it that i can spot.
Very little value. Be careful firing it.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Kleen Kutter items do have a collector following, but your shotgun would have to be in excellent condition to have any addition value other than just a 1930/1940s old single barrel shotgun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank u all so much, it will look good on the wall,will be #5 just wanted to know before hanging it up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts