Need help selecting reference books.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by fleetwood1976, Apr 26, 2009.

1. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Well-Known Member

I am mainly interested in vintage firearms. I am not finding the indepth information i want in standard price lists. I took advice given on this board to someone else concerning the standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson, and I must say the same week it more than paid for itself. I bought a 1940's pre model 10 that turned out to be a low serial numbered 1905 hand ejector 4th variation in rare square butt and service sights that is worth far more than what it was originally portrayed. I am also a history buff and if I pick up a vintage revolver, I want to know more than the model and year manufactured. Keeping in mind that I allready have the smith line covered, I was wondering if there was a similar (bible) for colts. I picked up a 98% police positive at a gun show and was able to research the serial number to 1913, I can't help but think one this old would have a higher value than one made later in the '40s. My local gunshop owner allready thinks I am taking my hobby way to seriously. I guess I am looking for books that will give me more answers than value and model. Let me know what books would help me more specifically identify and value more accuratley.

2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009

3. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Well-Known Member

Thanks, I will start out with the standard catalog of colts. I am collecting vintage smith and colt revolvers, as well as others that spur my intrest.

4. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

One of the best books for Colts is the little blue book. Its proper name is 'COLTS Dates of manufacture by RL Wilson'. Most serious gun folk I know have one banging about, including me. It wont give values but you can quickly date any Colt from 1837 to 1978.

I have no idea if its in print, I would think so. but worth looking for one if your into Colts.