The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my brother gave me a small titan 25. Cal. Really needed a good cleaning. So I noticed that the safety lever is gone vanished not there. Gun shoots put 6 rounds through it. My question is. In all the videos I have seen on this gun the safety is switched to safety before disassembly to clean. 1 if the safety is gone how would I do that? 2 how they heck did they get it back together. The slid is hard to pull back and dirty as all get out. Any advice greatly appreciated.v

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Take the grip panels off and flush the pistol with a spray can of carbon cleaner. I used both break or carburetor cleaner. Neither will harm blued finish, and can be purchased at auto parts stores. Buy the store brand. Just as good as national brands but cheaper. Ware safety glasses do to the cleaners are very high pressure. Oil the pistol internals which with grip panels off you should be able to reach them, and use a CLP type oil to preserve the metal. Oreillys Auto Parts carries Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Oil. A $4.00 1oz bottle has a needle oiler built in so you should be able to oil everything internally.

·
Premium Member
12,333 Posts
I think the Titan has an alloy frame. Will that be of any concern with the brake/carb cleaner? They're pretty cheap.....and I can say that because I have one........I bought a long, long time ago.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
I’m smiling because the very first handgun I owned and shot when I was in college was a Titan .25. A guy I worked with needed cash so I gave him his asking price of $50.

I bought a box of Remington FMJ, and took it out back of my Fathers place.

I worked scrap metal to pay for college, and had a bunch of old appliances I was stripping out so I could get my $20/ton😳 when I hauled them.

I used spray paint to paint a target on the side of a refrigerator, dutifully paced off 10 steps, used my best Jeff Cooper Weaver stance I had read about in all the magazines, and fired off all 6...and didn’t hit the damm refrigerator once!😎

I think I managed to hit it a couple of times with the second mag.

The guy got his finances in order and said here’s your $50 back can I have “my” gun back. He got pissed when I told him I wasn’t a pawn shop, if he wanted it back the price was now $60.

I think he hounded me until I sold it back to him for the $50 plus the price of the ammo minus the 12 rounds I fired...which if I remember right was like $55 total...😎

About the only thing good I can say about the Titan is it was tiny and went bang every time I pulled the trigger.😉

·
Premium Member
12,333 Posts
Once you finally get the trigger pulled. I think mine has, conservatively, a 16 lb. trigger.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Titans have steel frames.
The guns were made by Tanfoglio in Italy originally. After 1968, some were made with US made frames.

·
Registered
7,679 Posts
Numrich used to list parts for these. I can't imagine that they sold many parts - so they still might have what you need. They used to call these "Belly Guns" - the barrel had to be pushed into an attacker's belly to be sure they would be struck by any bullets.

·
Premium Member
12,333 Posts
I think I spoke out of school. I'll have to dig mine out of the safe now....I think it might be an Excam.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I think the Titan has an alloy frame. Will that be of any concern with the brake/carb cleaner? They're pretty cheap.....and I can say that because I have one........I bought a long, long time ago.
Break cleaners will not harm anodized aluminum. I used mostly break cleaner do it is a good dissolvent of grease and oil, and will loosen carbon. I worked for an AR15 upper manufacture and retailer for 6-1/2 years, and we used break cleaner by the case load to degrease steel and aluminum in preparation for minor touchups.

I should add. Take a Q-tip wetted with break cleaner and apply it to a small area like under where the grip panels cover, and test that spot. Be aware that a degreased metal pert with a oxidized or anodized finish will have discoloration do to any oils removed. Wipe down with oil will bring back the original colors.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber = Non-chlorinated Brake Cleaner, but it costs more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts