The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked this up at an estate sale for a little of nothing and I figure it's on the old side since modern clips just aren't made like this. Only marking is a set of numbers stamped on the bottom. No other marks. About 5" long overall and looks like it would take a cartridge that is about 2" long in a staggered pattern. Any help would be much appreciated. I want to determine if it will be worth the effort to clean it up and try to sell it or not. Got several photos.

Thanks.... Doug

Roof
Revolver
Roof

·
Premium Member
15,056 Posts
This is a magazine.

Picked this up at an estate sale for a little of nothing and I figure it's on the old side since modern clips just aren't made like this. Only marking is a set of numbers stamped on the bottom. No other marks. About 5" long overall and looks like it would take a cartridge that is about 2" long in a staggered pattern. Any help would be much appreciated. I want to determine if it will be worth the effort to clean it up and try to sell it or not. Got several photos.

Thanks.... Doug

View attachment 205968 View attachment 205970 View attachment 205972 View attachment 205974 View attachment 205976 View attachment 205978
THIS IS A CLIP!!! A clip is used to either load or top off a magazine....or to hold back a pretty girls hair.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stripper_clip

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
They also make them in different sizes, ten round on the left & a Chinese twenty round on the right. (sometimes it has a large star the the middle)

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
SKS fixed MAGAZINE. Never "clip". In the rifle, this magazine is loaded with the use of stripper clips.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool Beans.
The sad part about this is that I actually have an old Norinco wood stock SRS sitting in a closet that I haven't looked at in ages and I never made the connection. It has a stamped aftermarket 30 rd mag and the appearance of that to this older one is enough that my brain just didn't sync the two.

Probably need to drag it out and take some pics to see what it maybe worth.

·
Premium Member
15,056 Posts
I don't know when you bought your SKS but if it was 20 or so years ago, they've gone up!!!

Reactions: howlnmad

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I want to determine if it will be worth the effort to clean it up and try to sell it or not.
This SKS magazine does not appear to need any cleaning, at least if all you want to do is sell it. When I bought an SKS years ago, all magazines were non-removable. Since then, you can purchase these removable magazines. Check the current prices of these before you advertise it for sale.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Doug, like the others have said, this is an SKS magazine. It looks like a Chinese made piece because of the finish, and holds 10 rounds 7.62X39 ammunition, charged from the receiver with steel ammunition 'stripper' clips. A large number of folks removed these from the (then) plentiful (and inexpensive) SKS rifles and installed one of two types of extended capacity after market mags - usually 30 rounders.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That was a typo. It should have been Norinco SKS, not SRS. Cause you know, the R and K keys are only like 5 keys apart on the keyboard.

I will likely keep it at this point and to go along with the Norinco. Will have to do a little research to see what I can maybe get out of that. I picked it up about 8 - 10 years ago for about $400.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
I'd reinstall the fixed magazine. I went the route of switching to detatchable 30 round magazines, but they were clunky and unreliable. The fixed magazine is quicker and easier to reload, and I can carry a lot more ammo on the small strippers than the heavy magazines. Just my druthers.

Reactions: grcsat and ysacres
1 - 16 of 16 Posts