The Firearms Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I have in the shop a J Stevens Arms and Tool Co. 520 made around 1909-1913.
So it has a inertial slide release block. It is designed to slam fire. (hold the trigger and pump it and it fires).
First does any body here have one?
Is it suppose to lock up when you pump it or will it just pump?. (with out pulling the trigger).
I will start with that.
I decided to strip it and is there is a slide stop but this one looks like it was filed round. But I still do not understand what exsactly the "inertial release block" is for.
Mike

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
I'll have to go dig one out but I think when it's empty it will lock up and you have to push the slide forward to get it to release. Recoil releases it so it will slam fire. May take me a few to get to one. I have both the old model and the new model.

OK on the old double hump model with the safety inside the trigger guard it locks up solid when it's empty and you have to press the slide release to get it open. On the new single hump model with the tang mounted safety it is locked up until you press the slide release but if you hold the trigger back you can continue to work the slide even empty.

·
Premium Member
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for taking the time to look for me I really do appreciate it.
The one I have is the early one with the safety in the trigger guard.
But still do not see how the Inertial block works.
I am going to order a slide stop and install that and see what happens.
Again Thanks for digging them out and helping me.
Does the slide release get pushed in or slide up a little?.
I see the button is screwed into the release but when pushed it does not move.
Mike

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'll have to go dig one out but I think when it's empty it will lock up and you have to push the slide forward to get it to release. Recoil releases it so it will slam fire.
That's how mine is too.
If you Google for more info, it is actually "inertia" block, same as in some Browning shotguns

·
Premium Member
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's suppose to lock. Take the safety off, dry fire, push the pump handle forward then back.
The gun was fixed and given back to the customer 3 years ago when this post was made. But thanks anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.