The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone! Needing some help with an old gun I just recently inherited. Marks on the barrel are 2 stamped flussstahl krupp essen on either side. They are in a circular stamp around something that looks like an x. Can't make out what those actually are. On the right barrel it's stamped Hubertus and on the left Suhl. Serial number for the gun is #56824. Proof marks stamped on the under side of barrels are as follows. Right barrel- crown with an S crown, with a W, crown with a U, crown with a JJ, 16/1, 16 in a circle, nitro stamped at the base near the bottom of the ejector. Left barrel- crown with a S, crown with a W, crown with a U, 16/1 16 in a circle, 8/25 and nitro stamped on the bottom. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Brown Rectangle Purple Textile Sleeve

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm not the German gun expert but I do know this much. The shotgun was manufactured in August of 1925 and is 16 gauge. There will be others along shortly that can tell you a lot more than I. I would love to see some close up pics of the side plates so we can better see the engraving.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not the German gun expert but I do know this much. The shotgun was manufactured in August of 1925 and is 16 gauge. There will be others along shortly that can tell you a lot more than I. I would love to see some close up pics of the side plates so we can better see the engraving.
Thank you! I will try to upload some better pictures later.

·
Registered
11,264 Posts
Flussstahl Krupp Essen is the type of steel used, and Krupp Essen is the foundry that produced the steel for the barrels.

·
Premium Member
15,022 Posts
The gun was proofed in August of 1925. Who knows when it was actually built. Receivers frequently sat on the shelf for years.

Krupp is indeed the maker of the barrel steel and Essen is the town they were located in. Flusstahl is fluid steel. The "X" is actually crossed cannons.

Proof marks; "Crown Over", S is for shotgun, W is for a choked bore but never how much choke, U is a thorough visual examination. The block letters for "Nitro" indicate the gun was proofed in Suhl.

16 is obviously the bore and the 16 in a circle indicates the gun is chambered for 2 1/2 in. shells.

Oh, great pictures of the proofs. I wish I could do that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The gun was proofed in August of 1925. Who knows when it was actually built. Receivers frequently sat on the shelf for years.

Krupp is indeed the maker of the barrel steel and Essen is the town they were located in. Flusstahl is fluid steel. The "X" is actually crossed cannons.

Proof marks; "Crown Over", S is for shotgun, W is for a choked bore but never how much choke, U is a thorough visual examination. The block letters for "Nitro" indicate the gun was proofed in Suhl.

16 is obviously the bore and the 16 in a circle indicates the gun is chambered for 2 1/2 in. shells.

Oh, great pictures of the proofs. I wish I could do that.
Thank you!!! Would the nitro stamp be that it was proofed for nitro powder? I guess my main question on that is if I found some low brass target loads, (low velocity) would it be good to shoot? The gun is visually solid. Had it checked out by a firearms nut but he was not familiar with the older German guns.

·
Registered
68 Posts
That one I can answer. Have the firearm checked by a competent gunsmith. If it checks out, there are 2 1/2", low pressure shells available.

·
Premium Member
15,022 Posts
Yes, it's proofed for smokeless powder. What you want is 2 1/2 in. shells rather than the modern 2 3/4. Brass height won't matter. RST makes them, if they have any in stock or, you can cut back 2 3/4 and load them yourself.

RSTShells

Reactions: zant
1 - 8 of 8 Posts