Need help with something

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Tony22-250, May 12, 2009.

1. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

Ok i need to know 2 things.

First i need a website address or phone number of a custom AR barrel manufacturer and second i need to know if you can fire light 45-55 gr bullets out of a 1/7 or 1/8 twist barrel.
    (Need info as soon as possible thanks in advance)
    Any information will be gratefully appreciated!!!

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  2. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

As far as I know there should be no problem firing the lighter bullets with that barrel twist. If I'm not mistaken, the faster the twist the heavier bullet you should be able to shoot and still have it stay steady in flight.

Try this site for custom barrels. http://www.lesbaer.com/

3. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

yes i am aware i can fire heavy bullets out of that twist.

What i wanted to know is a website / phone number for CUSTOM CHAMBERING for AR barrels.

4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Answer to "second":

It depends on the quality of the bullet. That fast twist can spin a bullet up to tremendous rotational speeds and literally cause it to disintegrate. Really! It happened in my AR type gun. Any bullet that is out of balance in the least amount might fly apart under the extremely high rotational speeds developed with these fast twist barrels.

I was trying to shoot my regular 52 grain HPBT (non-match) Speer bullets and they would literally not make it to the target because they were already in pieces. When I changed to match 52 grain bullets and dropped the load a bit (lowered the velocity which lower the rotational speed) the bullets got to the target. Accuracy was tremendously better with heavy bullets and I got the best accuracy out of Hornady 75 grain HPBT Match. But with bullets that heavy you have to make sure the reloaded cartridge will fit into the magazine. The other versions of that weight Hornady bullets are made for single loading and will not go through a regular AR mag. Refer to the reloading manuals for each manufacturer of those heavy bullets.

LDBennett

5. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Tony, I sent p/m with info.

6. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

one more thing will the 1/8 still fire a 55gr bullet at 3680 fps or no will it i have to be a heavier weight?