Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

Need help with this American bulldog value and what year it was made and caliber

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Ryan33, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Ryan33

Ryan33 New Member

Hey i had a revolver passed down to me from my grandad. Its an american bulldog not forsure of caliber. Or year it was made i know its not in the best condition but i also want to know if ya think i should get it restored and some estimates on how much yall think it might cost for parts just looking for yalls opinions hopefully yall can help me
    20190922_104412.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Ryan33

Ryan33 New Member

I have taken it apart and the only markings on the gun is 5724 underneath the grip its missing alot of parts please if anyone can tell me more that would be great

3. johnsxj

johnsxj Well-Known Member

Finish wise I've seen worse! I'm going to assume the center pin is stuck to the cylinder? If it is, that can be a pain to remove.
    The revolver was made by Iver Johnson somewhere between about 1886 and 1899 (don't have my book in front of me at the moment). There's no serial number history on these and it was built during the time Iver was known to start at "1" again once they hit "99,999".
    Yours looks to being a .32S&W centerfire and was meant to be used with black powder loads.
    From what I can see in the pics you're missing the center pin catch, center pin catch pin, center pin catch spring, cylinder friction plunger (might be stuck in the frame), cylinder friction plunger spring, hammer, hammer pivot screw, hammer spring, cylinder hand spring (a guess there can't tell in pics), trigger guard, trigger guard front screw, trigger spring, sear, sear spring, and trigger guard rear pin (which is also the sear pivot pin).
    From the major online used parts supplier, that adds up to about $100 in parts and they don't have everything in stock. You might get lucky and find a "parts kit" on one of the online auction sites that'll have most of what you need for less $$ but that's hit or miss and requires some patience.
    The down side is your revolver is the most common caliber with the most common barrel length and would only be worth about $125 max retail when back together.

Ryan33 likes this.
  4. Ryan33

Ryan33 New Member

Yea i know i would definitely have more in the revolver than its worth but i dont think i could ever sell it before my grandad gave it to me he had it for 50 years so i think it would be something i would want to keep for 50 year if i live that long and pass it down again

johnsxj likes this.
  5. Ryan33

Ryan33 New Member

Now i just need to find the right parts for a decent price anyone have any suggestions on where to look

6. johnsxj

johnsxj Well-Known Member

Numrich was the site where I estimated about $100 in parts if they had them all in stock. On their site you have to go to "American Bulldog" in the manufacturers list not to "Iver Johnson".

Parts kits show up from time to time on eBay but you need to check on a regular basis and know what you're looking for. Right now there's a parts kit there listed for an "American Bulldog .32 S&W" but it's actually for a Harrington & Richardson, not an Iver Johnson. There's an "Iver Johnson American Bulldog Revolver .38 S&W" kit also on eBay where they want more than a complete gun is worth. Only a few small parts from that kit would work but I mention it so you can see what the correct parts look like.

Ryan33 likes this.