The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I have a Walther ppks that has been sitting loaded. A family member tried pulling back the slide insert a round into the chamber, but there was already one and now the firearm is jammed. The second issue is, upon pressing the mag release button, nothing happens. I cannot get the magazine to release. I’m not super knowledgeable with firearms so please keep that in mind when offering help. Thank you all in advance! I didn’t think pics would be necessary but if they are just let me know.

·
Premium Member
13,320 Posts
First things first - make sure the safety's engaged (lever pointing downward at roughly 45 degrees). As to the magazine glitch, a picture would help, but chances are the cartridge your family member tried to chamber is partially out of the magazine and hanging up on the barrel's feed ramp. If this is the case, see if you can push the cartridge back between the magazine's feed lips. Once that's accomplished you should be able to withdraw the magazine.

Have to wonder why the cartridge already in the chamber didn't extract/eject when the slide was pulled back.

·
Premium Member
13,320 Posts
Yup, I see what's happening - pretty much as described above. Plan B is to remove the slide. If you've never done this: while holding the pistol in normal fashion (finger off the trigger), pull downward and to the rear on the trigger guard. Once it's pivoted downward, hold it to one side by pressing the guard to the side with your trigger finger. While maintaining pressure on the trigger guard pull the slide all the way back with your free hand, then lift the rear of the slide free of the frame's guide rails and ease the slide (it'll be under spring pressure) off the barrel and free of the frame. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your reply again. No, I’ve never done this and this particular part is confusing me... “pull downward and to the rear on the trigger guard. Once it's pivoted downward, hold it to one side by pressing the guard to the side with your trigger finger.”

What am I pulling downward? And what should pivot downward?

My apologies for so many beginner questions.

·
Banned
2,001 Posts
Take a very small stick or something similar and carefully insert it into the muzzle and mark where it stops. Then compare it alongside the gun to see if it is actually a loaded round or an empty shell. If empty you can breathe a little easier.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you both for your help. I managed to get it apart, reinsert the cartridge into the magazine and the first cartridge just fell out. Is there any way for me to give you rep or points or anything of that nature? Just want to show my appreciation.

·
Premium Member
13,320 Posts
Happy to know it worked out well. I'd be interested in knowing why the first cartridge didn't extract/eject to begin with - broken or missing extractor, weak extractor spring perhaps?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I honestly haven’t the slightest idea. I will be putting some rounds through it in the near future and I’ll come back and update you with how that went. Thanks again! Very much!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I honestly haven’t the slightest idea. I will be putting some rounds through it in the near future and I’ll come back and update you with how that went. Thanks again! Very much!
The magazine should have dropped out. What I found on my PPK/S S&W make was that the mag would`nt drop on rare occasion most always worked fine but some times would lock in. After a thorough inspection I found that all four of my mags were close fitting in the frame no wobble no shake. The mag locked pin was sticking out ever so slightly even after a good cleaning no matter how hard I pressed the mag release. So took a dremel and carefully and professionaly nipped the tip of the mag pin and have no more issues of that sort. S&W did have a few small issues on that model and a major recall in 2008

1 - 13 of 13 Posts