The Firearms Forum banner

Need help with youth archery set-up

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Bigr Bang Thry 
#1 ·
I feel odd asking questions about archery on a firearms site. My youngest daughter; who loves to shoot my .22's, tells me she does not like shooting the H&R in .243 that I got for her (glad my other daughter likes it), to go hunting with. :banghead: So.. she expresses the idea of bow hunting. :confused:

So, is there a short draw (20"-24") low draw wt. (15-25 #'s), bow out there that is suited for hunting? Or am I asking for trouble finding something that is under powered, under speed? :confused: Or do I drop the money on a cross bow? Not that I wanted to spend my next months rent on something she will use for a few seasons.

Thanks for the input,
Shawn

#2 ·
Might want to look into state laws. Florida requires a draw weight of 45 pounds for big game (deer, bear, pig) hunting.

15 to 25 pound bow? I wouldn't even use that for rabbit hunting. Just too underpowered.

#4 ·
I'm curious??? How old is your daughter? Not that it is any of my business, but it seems you might be pushing her into something she doesn’t want to do. I raised three sons, and remember having some ups and downs with them going afield. There was the youngest walking back the to the truck saying “That Loud” and the middle child shooting a goose which resulted in his head banging the roof of the blind from the recoil, and not wanting to shoot anymore geese for a while. I’ve had friends who “forced” their children to go along, and later in life they never went.
With that said, perhaps, you can arm your child with a camcorder and have her film everyone else enjoying the hunt. When she is ready, she can join in, or maybe she will find another way to enjoy the outdoors. (Some find photography most profitable).
As far as bow hunting I’m pretty sure 35 pounds is the minimum for any type of game.
Please excuse me, for I have had several adult beverages and a terribly long day. If I have over stepped my bounds, ignore my comment.
I hope you and your family have many enjoyable days afield.
fred
:)

#5 ·
Fred, You have not offended any one. The kids are 10, 12, and 15 here, with the boy being the oldest. Ive had them shooting .22's since they were too young about 5. They have all enjoyed the .22's and when they inquired about the bigger stuff, I introduced them gradually. The boy has shot everything... and even has the "kiss" from the -06... but he keeps asking to shoot it all. The girls will comfortably shoot my Hi-Point Carbine (.40 S&W) and they don't mind it at all.. I thing the "Bark" of the .243 scares the 10 year old.. but she doesn't mind if some one else is shooting it.

Any way.. they have all expressed going out into the field with me.. the girls have hounded me to take them to hunter safety... The youngest is an avid angler, the middle one is the "gun smith" / "reloader" and the oldest just likes to waste my ammo.

I like the idea of the camera, to get them use to being out there.
Shawn.

#6 ·
I'm not sure about Michigan laws, but in New York, you must be age 12 to hunt small game, and age 14 for large game. Both require an adult to accompany them. Therefore, you might be spinning your wheels a bit early. Give the little one a cam-corder for now, but by all means, if she's interested, take her to a good archery shop, and have a look. There are many bows out there that are appropriate for her, and they get traded in for new ones as they get outgrown. I'm sure that you can find a relatively inexpensive used bow that will fit her for a few years. Then, all you have to do is SHOOT it ! A static target in the basement or the back yard and a dozen arrows will provide hours of fun and build shooting skills that will last a lifetime. If you don't shoot a bow, you might give it a try. It's alot of fun. There are always archery leagues, 3-D shoots, and indoor ranges at many (if not most) good archery shops to give you an oppertunity to have fun. I shoot my bow year-round. Yes, I bought it primarily for hunting, but the truth is that I spend WAY more time at leagues and 3-D events than I do in the woods.

Find yourself a few good archery shops, and talk with the pro about your situation. They will all have suggestions and give you advice. Don't buy the first thing you see. Look around for a while and find the bow that will grow with her for a few years. My suggestion is that you NOT buy a "Genesis" bow. They are made well, and have a couple great features, but they will not serve you well. Here's why: The Genesis bow has no fixed draw length. That is a great feature if many different people will be shooting it, but if only one person is to be using it, you will find it much easier to be consistant with a bow that draws the same every time. Also, the Genesis bows have no let-off. Again, having proper let-off will allow for better archery form, and therefore better accuracy. The Genesis bows are SO underpowered that they will not propel an arrow more than a few yards with enough force to stick the arrow in the target. The Genesis bows are really only good for learning the first few basics of shooting a bow. She will outgrow a Genesis bow in a week, maybe sooner. You would be better getting her a fiberglass recurve bow than a Genesis bow. As for arrows, don't mess around with cedar or aluminum. Carbon arrows are expensive, but they last a long time. They never bend, and they are tough. I like GOLD TIP arrows, myself.

You must understand that archery is all about form. Proper form will lead to incredible accuracy, and the lack of good form will undoubtedly lead to poor accuracy. When you find the right bow, make sure that she gets good instruction to go with it.

Also, don't buy into all the hype of the latest and greatest. By that, I mean, get a very basic arrow rest, like the WHISKER BISCUIT and a very simple sight with no more than three pins. A release is going to be necessary, and there are hundreds of them on the market. Let your archery shop help you with that, but make sure that the one you buy has a wrist strap of some king, and has a trigger that is not likely to be tripped accidentally by a new shooter. Bows are not toys. They are indeed dangerous if used improperly. By the same token, they can be a source of great fun, challenge, and bonding with your little girl.

Have fun, and be safe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.