The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i'm new to reloading and have been having a problem. I am using the lee classic loader in 45 acp and every completed round when i try to chamber it the bullet gets set back in the case a lot and i'm not sure how to correct the problem any advice would be appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Welcome to the joys of reloading.
If the flare was set to big and the tension is light, the bullet will seat back when it strikes the feed ramp. Make a test round from a full length sized case (no primer or powder). Then try giving just enough flaring of the case just enough so when you snug place the bullet with your fingers and invert the bullet in the case, it will not fall out with light shaking. Then seat the bullet with your seater. Then use your fcd to provide just enough of a taper crimp to remove that flare edging (somewhere between 1/4 to less than 1/2 turn on the fcd adjusting stem). The bullet should now stay in place as you have finished off the necessary tension to keep it in place.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the problem is i am not using a press setup its just a basic hand kit and i don't have a fcd or much in the way of loading equipment

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
what hand kit are you using? the kit should have a crimper with it, maybe you just need to tap that crimper a little harder?

·
Premium Member
11,604 Posts
I assume that's what a lot of us know as the "whack-a-mole"? Boy...it's been a looooooong time since I used one, very late 60's or maybe the earliest 70's but, I want to remember hunter29180 is on the right track.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I think I finally threw all the brass away that I used when I first had one of those simple Lee loaders. All the rims were chewed up from banging them around. Back then all I shot were 38/357 from a 19. I can't imagine using one of those hand kits for an auto and getting the crimp perfect. When I bought a Series 70 Colt .45 acp in the late 70s, early 80s I tried a set of Lee dies in a Rock Chucker. I had feeding problems and bought a Dillon Square Deal and they went away. Could have been how I set them up or maybe it was the Dillon dies. Not sure.

Had a Dillon 550 for a while but sold it when my shooting slowed down. Now I wish I hadn't.

Sometimes today I'll pull out an old Ideal/Lyman hand press. Cool little tool to have but It's still better using a bench press. It too can be hard on rims when resizing - and your hands as you tug it apart afterwards.

The bench presses are very hard to wear out and you may find lots of used equip with all of us baby boomers nearing the end of the road or passing on into the next life. I'm still using some of my Dad's equipment and he was a WW2 Veteran.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Really enjoyed that video. Very old school, clean, straight forward, simple. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,604 Posts
Those old 310 tools are fairly popular again. I have one and the dies for the 32-20...and occasionally I break it out and use it for nostalgia.

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
....are the does special for those hand presses, or will standard 7/8 x 14 does work ???

I meant "dies" ..

....darn spellcheck....

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Registered
346 Posts
I dug mine out when I started to reload again for an older 3" Bulldog .44 special I'd bought and had re-barreled to get it to shoot straight. Soon went back to a bench press though. I was thankful there were still many components laying around from the magnum years.

My posts would be pretty hard to read without spellcheck nowadays. :oops:

·
Premium Member
11,604 Posts
Dan, the dies for the 310 tool are specific to it and....was it the old Lyman Junior press? Maybe Lyman American? I forget. I believe they're a 5/8 diameter and I don't know the TPI but it's fine.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Now that would be handy to have. I never knew they made one that shared those dies. Google time.

http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/310/Lyman_310_Tool.html

What Reloading Tools use 5/8 Dies?
When searching for 310 sized dies, look for dies that fit the Ideal/Lyman 310 Tool, the Tru-Line Junior Press (older version), and the Ezy-Loader (requires 5/8x30 to 7/8x14 thread adapter). Note: The Ezy-Loader could and did use uniquely reversed 5/8x30 dies in the center hole...

What is the thread?
Small and Large Handles use .609" x 30 (5/8x30). Large special dies used 11/16x30, small special dies used a .400x30 die.

·
Premium Member
11,604 Posts
That's the one G-2, the Tru-line!! I've never heard of the Ezy-Loader or those other sized dies either. 30 TPI...I knew it was pretty fine for 5/8.

If I ever go to another local gun show, there's usually a vendor there that had a box full of Tru-Line stuff, press, several sets of dies and some other stuff I don't remember. He wanted $300 and some change which is probably why he's had it for a few years. Maybe I'll make him an offer on it....maybe.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I haven't had any sizing problems with my Lee Loaders (8). Just make sure you are fully sizing the case and just barely crimp, just enough to remove any flare (over crimping loosens the neck tension). I used a plastic mallet at first (I started reloading in '69 with a Lee Loader) then a dead blow hammer and an arbor press. I damaged no rims...

·
Registered
346 Posts
I haven't had any sizing problems with my Lee Loaders (8). Just make sure you are fully sizing the case and just barely crimp, just enough to remove any flare (over crimping loosens the neck tension). I used a plastic mallet at first (I started reloading in '69 with a Lee Loader) then a dead blow hammer and an arbor press. I damaged no rims...
I've probably been a mechanic too long - I have lots of hammers - big ones :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
Dan, the dies for the 310 tool are specific to it and....was it the old Lyman Junior press? Maybe Lyman American? I forget. I believe they're a 5/8 diameter and I don't know the TPI but it's fine.
Sharps, thanks for info....I am not familiar with these hand-held presses....look kinda neat !!

·
Premium Member
11,604 Posts
You are welcome sir. They're a fairly important part of our reloading history. I expect in the old days they kept a lot of folks in ammunition and groceries.

Reactions: BAH
1 - 20 of 24 Posts