The Firearms Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
I ran into the same problem years back using RCBS dies. The problem was the brand of brass, mine was TZZ. The brass was thinner than say Remington or Federal, so when it was sized, the ID of the case was the same size as the bullet OD. An undersize Lee carbide die fixed the problem. TZZ brass is a bit of an odd duck.

·
Registered
678 Posts
That was were I first started out was with a Lee hand loader in 9mm . Wasn't to long before got a single stage , then a turret press . Can imagine someone sitting by their camp fire or in their cabin making rounds for the next day . I finally gave my little loader to someone to start reloading and he later passed it to someone else .

·
Registered
415 Posts
It's been 40 years since I used a Lee Classic Loader, but I remember the problem and the frustration.
THE FIX IS to drive the to-be-sized case into the sizer slightly past flush with its outer rim. I used either a washer about the diameter of a .45 ACP case, or a dime (I think I used one, then the other, actually). Once de-primed and driven out of the sizer (onto a new primer, if memory serves) and charging with powder, starting the new projectile into the case mouth may be slightly difficult, and seating it may "shave" a bit off (especially if the projectile is cast, not jacketed), but the case mouth tension will be enough to hold the projectile in place.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts