The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
6,391 Posts
No, both the Dutch Mannlicher and the Italian Mannlicher-Carcano are turnbolt actions. Both used the Mannlicher type magazine with en-bloc clips. Hembrug and Gardone are the cities where the respective arsenals were located and where the guns were made.

I assume your grandfather was in the Dutch military or the resistance if he used that Hembrug rifle. Talk about fighting against long odds!

The caliber is (if not altered) 6.5x53R.

As to ammo, the Germans made a batch because they used the Dutch light machnegun, but it is scarce. I think someone is making cases but you can probably Google "6.5 Dutch ammo" and see what comes up.

Jim

· Registered
6,391 Posts
I think it is pretty certain that he used neither in combat, though the Italians used the Carcano and the Germans used some Dutch rifles, so it is possible that he brought both back. U.S. forces were generally prohibited from using enemy weapons for several reasons, but at that time there was no ban on keeping captured enemy arms. (And I can't imagine a GI discarding his M1 rifle and using a Carcano!!)

Jim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.