The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
thread revival / hembrug 1918

Hi everybody. New member and first post here. I'm hoping someone here can help.

I'll try to post pictures later today.

I've got a Hembrug 1918 carbine. My grandfather brought it home after WW2. He was in the Pacific Theater. He's gone now so can't ask him the good questions anymore.

1940 stamped across top of barrel, just below that ser # 2806C which matches stock. Bolt has different number. Sling mounts are both on the side. It has a bayonet lug and wood magazine cover but no wooden top cover. Also has brass tag inlaid ( 10-4 R.I. 140 stamped) partially covering "W" emblem on stock. Dad said grandpa said "... pulled it off a Jap on a tank"

I have read that some Dutch guns were used in Indonesia and wasn't sure about the Japanese comment.

Anyhow trying to find some history and put together a story on this gun..

· Registered
3 Posts
Ahh. Ok I was wondering about the "duffle cutting" I read about. I don't think this one was. If I remember correctly my grandfather had some ammo for it but my uncles blew thru that when they were kids. So gun was serviceable in the 60's.

My grandfather brought it home personally along with a sword.(uncle has the sword)

I'm looking around today to see if he brought home any clips too. Ultimately I'd like to get it professionally restored and the barrel inspected/xrayed and blast a couple rounds out of it.

I'll get some photos up later. Unfortunately a family member tried to "restore" it and probably did more arm than good.

My grandfather was USMC and ran a tank over there. I wish I had asked so many more questions now...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.