Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

Need info on this British Bulldog

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Fosterequitiesllc, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Fosterequitiesllc

Fosterequitiesllc New Member

So I recently purchased a nice old British bulldog and I know nothing about it except that it's not a forehand and Wadsworth. A 38 s&w round fits snug so I'm assuming that's the caliber. It has some odd proof markings (see pics). As far as the serial number goes one side of the grip frame has the number 47 and the other side has 37 on it. Both single and double action work fine. Anyone know who made this, how old it is and a ball park value? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

The proof marks are Belgian, it predates 1893 as the Liege proof mark is not surmounted by a crown.

Fosterequitiesllc likes this.

3. armoredman

armoredman Well-Known Member

Be careful - a gunsmith buddy bought a British Bulldog revolver similar to that and while a 38 SW case fit in it, the barrel was actually .34 diameter. He makes ammo by sizing cast .355 bullets through a .341 home made sizing die, calls it .34 LAGS. Fun gun to shoot after he fixed it.

4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

While 38 #&W was very rarely used in these Belgium guns . the English .380 was very popular in Europe. It was based on the .38 Colt Short.