The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never used this? Universal?

I got a pound. Unopened/ still has intact foam seal under cap. 5$ at a yard sale. Mild dust on bottle, but it lived inside climate controlled house. Price tag sticker is from a big pawn shop a couple cities away.

I've never used this stuff.

Opinions? Advice?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
26,990 Posts
I LOVE it for the pistol cartridges that I load. Works great in 380, 9mm, 38 Spl, 357 mag and 45 acp. It is a good clean all around powder. If you don't want it, I'll give you $10 for it.

·
Super Moderator
40,178 Posts
I have never used any universal. I did an internet search for it and this came straight from the Hodgdon website:

Universal gunpowder handles the broadest spectrum of cartridges for both pistol and shotgun. This is the Clays gunpowder technology designed for 28 gauge shooters.

From the 25 ACP to the 44 magnum and 28-gauge to 12-gauge, UNIVERSAL gunpowder provides outstanding performance. As with all Clays gunpowder series, these powders burn clean and uniformly when fired.

·
Super Moderator
26,990 Posts
I have never used any universal. I did an internet search for it and this came straight from the Hodgdon website:

Universal gunpowder handles the broadest spectrum of cartridges for both pistol and shotgun. This is the Clays gunpowder technology designed for 28 gauge shooters.

From the 25 ACP to the 44 magnum and 28-gauge to 12-gauge, UNIVERSAL gunpowder provides outstanding performance. As with all Clays gunpowder series, these powders burn clean and uniformly when fired.
And they aren't lying.

·
Super Moderator
26,990 Posts
That's the first time I've ever seen Universal and clean used in the same sentence.
Really? I find it a lot cleaner than other multi use powders.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Really? I find it a lot cleaner than other multi use powders.
Maybe they changed it. I bought some in 1980. It was the first pistol powder I ever bought. I was hot loading a .44 mag with it and 50 rounds turned a SS Super Blackhawk black. I only loaded the 50 rounds and after I fired them I tossed the rest of the pound in the trash.

·
Registered
278 Posts
This shoots clean at higher charges...but it won’t meter from a volumetric dropper. Also wouldn’t trickle for crap. Threw variance of .2gr to 1gr from my Hornady rotary dispenser. Hand dipping every round isn’t desirable. Broke down and bought a Frankford Arsenal Intellidropper. Suddenly, I love Universal.
I picked up 16lbs last summer only based on folks shooting results. After I posted how bad it metered I got all the...”Oh yeah, forgot that part” messages.

·
Super Moderator
26,990 Posts
I can't say that I have had any real problems with it metering. It meters well in my Srar press with a sliding powder bar and my Ohaus rotary.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I got the impression that Hodgdon Universal was supposed to be similar in all respects to Alliant Unique, except cleaner burning. I've never used it, but people who do and wish to keep their powder supplies simple seem to like it quite well.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I got the impression that Hodgdon Universal was supposed to be similar in all respects to Alliant Unique, except cleaner burning. I've never used it, but people who do and wish to keep their powder supplies simple seem to like it quite well.
Well, 32 and 33 on the Burn Rate chart, so may act similar in performance. I have a little experience with Universal and none with Unique. However, after trying nearly a dozen powders I can't say that any are better or worse...I still have to clean my pistols and wash my brass...so I guess clean is completely subjective.

I just want powders that support a wide range of projectiles in the calibers I'm loading, with little danger of blowing any body parts off unexpectedly. I was loading some 9mm last weekend. Wife came in to "talk" while I was still filling cases with powder. After she left I finished filling the case my funnel was on and lo and behold...double charge. Universal was so obvious that it would be a challenge to inadvertently double charge, and not notice. Made me appreciate Universal all the more...even if I can't drop it from my dispenser.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts