Need Info .

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by tim peterson, Apr 12, 2009.

1. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

My son called home to tell me he is thinking about buying a smith&wesson M P 15, AR type rifle. Calliber is 5.45 X39 he wanted my advise on this round. Problem is I dont know jack about the 5.45X39. Is it worth anything ? How dose it compare to the 5.56 (223) as far as velocity, energy,range,etc etc? I could really use some input/information. thanx Tim !

2. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

there is a page about it on wikipedia...but im sure we all know how reliable wikipedia is. it was made to go with the ak74... and according to the info posted there it was eventually found out that the round didnt fragment consistantly and caused "unusual amounts of tissue disruption". i havent had experience shooting the round but hope ive helped with the info that i found...:)

3. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

An Iraq War vet that works at a local gun store said he prefers the 5.45 over the 5.56. He says that the 5.45 is ballistically superior to the 5.56. I've read in some places that the 5.45 is a very nasty round with which to get hit, VERY nasty. The aforementioned vet has said he's seen some really bad wounds caused by the 5.45. The Russians supposedly call the 5.45 the "poison bullet" because of the massive amounts of tissue damage it does. Although some Russian special forces haved supposedly gone back to the 7.62x39. I do know that in my area, 5.45 ammo is still relatively plentiful and cheap (compared to eitther 5.56 or 7.62). If I had the spare money, I'd seriously think about getting one of those S&W ARs in 5.45.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  4. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

Hey guys thanx for the info it is a big help . Thank you again, Tim