The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folk's, Does anyone have a good load for the Sierra 52 grain match bullet using BLC-2 ? My Hodgdon load info. skips from 50 straight to 53 grain projectiles. This will be for a bolt gun-Thank's for all reply's-Dave

· Registered
815 Posts
This is right out of the Speer manual #14. The astric means magnum primer.

Attachments

· Registered
815 Posts
No problem, can't give you a exact recipe cuz different guns like different recipes. Start low and find a sweet spot. But I gotta ask who's Dave. Lol.

· Registered
815 Posts
I've asked the same, with blc2 to. One say you don't need magnums some say yes. I didn't use magnums and it shot fine. Load a couple up and try them out before you load a lot. But chances are it will be fine.

· Registered
815 Posts
What's even funnier is I was born here but after I got out of the military I lived in Portland TX. For 8yrs. I used to be a offshore diver. Had to give it up when I moved back home. Right now the whole thing moving back to IL. Was a bad choice. Wish I was back in TX. I used BL-C(2) its good stuff. Can't find it anywhere up here now. I also have good recipes with H322, H335, and I'm waiting to find a good load with Benchmark. I'm working on 300 win mag loads now. Just got my brass I bought in the mail today, so this wkend will be a fun one. Well I hope your recipes come out good give us a update. TTYL just remember when you change a ingredient fom the recipe ( like using SR primers instead of magnums ) always start over from the lowest charge and watch for pressure signs. Good luck.

· Registered
18,148 Posts
I recommend magnum primers with spherical propellants. They are harder to ignite than a stick powder.

· Registered
18,148 Posts
Azleite Dave must be in Azle TX. Only about an hour north of me.

· Registered
3,584 Posts
From the Sierra 5th Ed. manual:
They used the Rem 7-1/2 primer (small rifle magnum)

For BLC2, I have used both standard and magnum primers. Either one seems to work fine for me.
Some guys say that you should always use a magnum primer with the spherical powders since they can be harder to ignite. I can't say for sure if this is 100% true in all cases for all powders. I know WW748 and WW760 ball powders work better with mag primers but I haven't had any problems with BLC2.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.