Need opinions about whether or not to buy....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by glocknut, Apr 21, 2009.

1. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

I don't know if this is in the right forum or not...?? This is one i'm not sure where to post it...

Ok, here is the question. I want an AK47 in 7.62x39. The gunshop has one...in fact a really nice one. A Bulgarian Arsenal with a folding stock and a really nice stock and unusual flash suppressor. The gunshop has no mags for it. They might have them in the future. I bought a Siaga shotgun from them and they kept an eye out for them for me and gave me a call each time they came across one here and there. I also see cheaperthandirt has some. The shop has no ammo to speak of...at least not the affordable kind.

Should i buy this rifle? It feels good in my hands. There's not any ammo for it at the moment but Midway has reloading components for it from time to time... nothing like buying 1000 round cases in the good ol days but a little bit here and there.
    I have missed having a real AK in my collection. Its been years since i have had one. I miss having one arround...

So, what do you guys think? Should i get it even though i will probalby have to reload for it?

Opinions are appreciated...

mike
    gn

2. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Well-Known Member

absolutely! even if you never fire it look at how the prices went up in just the past 2 years. think of it as a fun investment. I had a les baer thunder ranch ARTR001-CS i had a guy approach me at the gun club and offer me 3500 for it because he didnt want to wait for one to become available. I didnt hesitate sold to the dummy.

3. Blackhawk Dave

Blackhawk Dave Member

I see them for about $800 at the gun shows, so that should give you an idea of the price. You can get the mags, etc at the gun shows. I agree that it should go up in price. Same with ARs etc.

4. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

So... you guys are thinking that production will not catch up until obama is out of the white house? I was thinking as a "worst case" scenerio that production might catch up to demand at the outermost...2 years from now? I could be wrong though. Especially if they bann the import of foreign made ammunition! :mad:

mike
    gn

5. islenos

islenos Active Member

It is hard to fight off the gun buying bug when it bites you.

I'm divided between feeling that prices of gun & ammo are overinflated and feeling that one should grab what they can when they can.

6. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

No one can foretell what Mao-bama is going to do, or his cronies, who seem to have carte blanche on everything, and get a pass by the media.

There are probably some on here that have a supply of 7.62x39 that might be willing to part with some to get you started, so start there.

As far as buying it goes, only you can answer that question as to the viability of your income. It's probably a fine investment though.

If they outlaw semi auto rifles, you're in trouble anyway, regardless if you make this additional purchase or not, right? :D;):D

Just post pictures like you usually do after a purchase, k?

And, did you buy a better camera yet?!?!?!?!?!?:D

7. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

Heck No... that would take money away from my ammo budget! :eek::eek::D:D;)
    Seriously, though...not yet. I research everything before i buy and i have not done my research on cameras yet. Been spending to much time on the computer lookin at neked ladies... :D:D:D:D;)

mike
    gn

8. graehaven

Oh my! :eek:

Well, as someone who uses video and still cameras as part of their vocation, I recommend ONLY, Sony or Cannon. Both have superior imaging systems, and are priced right. Their consumer cameras are feature rich, and fairly robust.

9. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

How many megapixel count should i be looking for? And how much do you think it would cost? I doubt anything under $100 would be worthwhile??
    Probably have to spend...what, $150 at least?

mike
    gn

10. graehaven

Yeah, you'd be ok in the $150 range. Don't pay more than $200 for one, unless you're looking to get into the pro-sumer level like Canon's Rebel line, which are $600 and up. They are fantastic though.

$200 or less will buy you a decent camera, and most are coming now with 8 megapixel or better.

Don't buy one that uses AA batteries or the like. Buy ONLY one that uses a rechargeable platform - they last longer and are more efficient. Also, one that uses / accepts the generic form of SD cards. In this department, you may have to shy away from the SONY line, if it will only accept their proprietary memory chips.

If it were me, I'd buy a Canon. I like their optics and their color temp in the photos.

The only reason I haven't bought one, is I have access to our Canon Rebel here at work. :D

11. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Go ahead and get it, Mike. You won't rest until you do. Also, as someone said above, you better get while the getting's GOOD. Bird in the had and all that rot !!!!! :D :D

Also, I would second graehaven's motion - - GET A CANON. Overall I have found them the best going back to my 35mm "A-1" with all the trimmings.

12. islenos

islenos Active Member

:eek: I just bought a Nikon D3x for 8k:eek:

For a consumer grade you should look for a least a 10 megapixel camera.

13. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Buy it!:D:D:D:D But it now!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D The Arsenal AKs are pretty nice. The only reason I bought a WASR instead of an Arsenal is because around here an Arsenal in 7.62 or 5.56 will cost you the same price as an AR:eek: I couldn't afford one, but I could afford the WASR.

14. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I have one Canon, the 750. That is my"always in my pocket" camera. Then I have a Nikon FG, a Nikon 6006, a Nikon N60 and a Nikon D40.

Does that tell you where my loyalties lie? :D

Pops

15. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

That's what i was thinking....

mike
    gn