Need some expert advice

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by pdkfishing, Jun 30, 2020.

1. pdkfishing

pdkfishing Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Anybody load BP 10 gauge in brass cases? Loading sequence is powder, over powder wad, cushion wad, shot, overshot wad. Should the cushion wad be lubed? One local expert says absolutely, another says not necessary, one says absolutely not. :confused: Any thoughts on who's right?​

2. Dave_T

Dave_T Active Member

My experience wasn't with 10 ga but I can't imagine 12 ga brass shells differ all that much from 10 ga brass shells, except for diameter. Anyway, for 10 years I routinely shot BP loads in my 12 ga brass shells and the loading sequence was exactly as the OP described. And I never lubed anything...wads, shot, or anything else. And, I never had a problem of any kind.

YMMV,
    Dave

3. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Other end of the spectrum from Dave. I've been shooting BP in shotshells for 30+ years, plastic at first then brass. I always lube the cushion wad. I didn't have any problems either...lol! I do my muzzleloaders the same way.

4. Dave_T

Dave_T Active Member

More power to ya! (smiley face goes here)

It would appear there may not be an absolute right answer to the OP's question.

Dave

5. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I use these wads and they seem to work just fine.
    8E5DB945-4F3D-4785-9850-89CDCC08A198.jpeg

6. Dave_T

Dave_T Active Member

Exact same brand I used years ago...un-lubed! (LOL)

Dave

7. Designer

Designer Well-Known Member

This from someone who does not reload with anything, but I would guess that the main consideration will be for the integrity of the propellant. If any lube gets into the powder compartment, it could spoil the entire charge.

pdkfishing likes this.
  8. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Dave, as with many things I suspect it's what you're happy with....and they must all work or pdk wouldn't have three "experts" at his disposal....lol!!!

Lube isn't very likely to migrate past the over powder card. It didn't in cartridges and shells 130 years ago and doesn't now.

shootbrownelk, pdkfishing and Dave_T like this.
  9. pdkfishing

pdkfishing Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thanks for all your input. Been loading plastic for 12, 20 and 410 with smokeless for some time, but just recently started with 10 gauge, BP and brass cases. Have some ready to go with lube; think I'll make up a few without and see if one does better than the other. Really appreciate you all taking the time to share your experience and expertise.

sharps4590 likes this.