Need your opinions again !!!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by glocknut, Apr 22, 2009.

1. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

Ok...here's the deal. The Ak47 is a Bulgarian Arsenal 107F with a stamped receiver, not the milled type. It has a better flash suppressor than most and a folding stock. They want $1199 for it. I think that's really high...but the machining on this rifle is far ahead of the others. I took them all apart. The Siaga AK47 looked like absolute junk on the inside and parts were loose fitting "dustcover" etc etc etc

I really want an AK47. Its been years since i've had one and i miss having one... but the price on that bugger is high. And its not a money issue but rather a principal issue. They are maybe gouging a little because of the political situation? I dunno...

Its a really well built rifle. They actually do have (4) 30rd mags for it in the $20 range each and she has some ammo coming in tomorrow. She didn't say what she wanted for the ammo...

What do you guys think? Buy or pass??

mike
    gn

2. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

They are maybe gouging a little because of the political situation?

I dunno, ya think?

How long since you've seen one in this condition?
    How long do you think it will be before you see another?
    How much do you think it will cost, when/if you see another?

Buy the darn thing! Have fun!
    "2¢"

3. pawn

pawn Active Member

If you like the rifle and can afford it, I say grab it. IMHO, the price of AK's is not likely to be trending down anytime soon (if ever). Ammo availability should improve in the medium term.... I am an optimist :)

4. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I wouldnt worry that much about the stamped receiver. I read a few blogs awhile back discussing both and the consensus seemed to be that the stamped receivers performed every bit as well and in many cases had a nicer finish than the milled recivers.

But the price is high. Personally I'd shop around if I was sold on the Bulgarian. Did you check out the Romanian AK's at the classic arms link I posted on your other thread? For my money at about half the price I'd go for that one. Then again, I don't like cheap, but I have to be frugal. Being a Bushmaster stockholder you can afford it. :D:D:D

I just recently bought a Saiga .223 and I have to admit it is not particularly pretty. It looks cheap, but from everything I've read they perform well for what they are. Still haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

5. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

I don't buy guns from the internet. I support the local gunshops even if it is higher priced...

mike
    gn

6. artabr

artabr New Member

I'd do some more looking around. That's a pretty steap price. If you're willing to spend that kind of money, try finding a Yugo.

Art

7. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

I hear ya on shopping local but I'd have to agree with the others. The price seems high. I think I would shop around some more.

8. Vladimir

Vladimir Active Member

Is it worth $1199 to you? It sounds like a nice rifle, but it all depends. Do you want to go to a gun show and pay $800 (or whatever they are costing in your area) for a par kaleshnikov, or pay the $1199 for what sounds like a really nice one. This is working under the assumption that you have already decided to buy some AK :D.

9. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

hay man have you shot that ptr yet? If not you may want to do that then revisit this ak @ 1200.00

i know if i had 1200 to spend it would not be on a ak no mattter who or what it was made of.

10. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Methinks it is not an AK47, but AKM. The little dents above the magazine in the receiver will tell you, small and lozenge shaped with pressed steel receiver, AKM. Top cover probably has traverse ribs too. AK47s are smooth.

Its not a cheap gun. Then again, if its a nice one and you want it..

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2009
  11. Save up your pennies and buy Barrett Rifle instead, Mike. :D;)

12. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

Milled receiver....

mike
    gn

13. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Just for the record, the first AK47s produced had stamped receivers. There were very few and they didn't last long. They quickly switched to milled steel. A quick ID is the larger, long lozenge shape in the side of the receiver above the mag well.

The AKMs followed, also 762 x 39. Pressed steel, mostly with lateral ribs on the top cover. Also an angle cut muzzle piece, the 47s were square cut. Quick ID on AKMs is the smaller lozenge indent above the mag well.

Then they went 74. Quick ID is the less curved magazine.

This is only a general guide, there were many variations in the millions produced in various countries. Hope it helps a little.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2009