NEF Rifle Frame Durability

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Can anyone else elaborate on the longevity of these rifles? Do the larger caliburs ruin them this fast? Particularly interested in anyone shooting 223, 243, and 44 mag. and the 50 cal BP.

Seems they wouln't last a week useing the shotgun barrell on them if this is true?

pub92.ezboard.com/fparall...D=11.topic
    -12 gauge when you want to REALLY get serious.

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/27/03 5:31:52 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: NEF Rifle longevity?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 12ga has a lot less rearward thrust than the larger rifle cartridges. Since nobody seems to be reporting problems in the smaller calibers, we'd have to think the issue is strictly related to rearward thrust from the cartridge case, which of course would be increased as bullet size/weight goes up at a given pressure. I wonder if .450 Marlin is a problem?

Also, we only have anecdotal references to this point. No mention of handload vs factory, whether the barrel was original to the gun (NEF barrels are not interchangeable like T/C - they must be fitted and headspaced), or whether these were even SB2 receivers. NEF will not fit rifle barrels to SB1 receivers, apparently there is a metallurgy difference.

Anyhow, I've only seen a handful of anecdotal references to problems (none in the .223/.243 family) and about a bajillion people happy as clams with the Handi-Rife (except for the trigger, which is another issue).

JackRyann
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/28/03 12:32:51 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: NEF Rifle longevity?
    Do you think the 44 mag or 50 cal BP would be a problem?

I'd like to get all these barrels to shoot on the same action. No one of them will get a lot but all of them on the same action may add up? That's the whole reason for it the use of any one doesn't justify a new rifle but for the price of a barrel... I could do that.

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/28/03 7:16:46 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    I would not think either would be a problem. Start with the SB2, not the SB1.

JackRyann
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/28/03 5:37:56 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: NEF Rifle longevity?
    I planned to order a combo gun that comes with the 243 barrel and the 50 cal BP. Is it a given I will get the SB2?

How can I tell the dif? All info I've read says if I start with the rifle any barrell can be fitted. If ya start with the shotgun only shotgun and BP barrells will be fitted. Guess I'm just assuming since I'm starting with the 243 I can then get the 223 and 44 mag fitted to it?

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/28/03 5:56:39 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    The .243 will be an SB2 rifle frame, and NEF will fit any of their barrels to that frame.