The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been a gunfreak all my life mostly rifles and blackhawks. Recently this compact came running.

I now have questions on what's stock and what's not. Ill post pics. The trigger is suposebly done and does feel decent to my rifle standerds. Also the sites seem awesome.. okay to the pics.

That's a Kimberll 7rd compact tax magazine. I picked it up because the 6 rd may was jamming the last rd. Kimber mag has been flawless.

Great to be here and loveing this new said compact I picked up

·
Banned
17,476 Posts
Re: new 1912 guy with the purchase of a sa compact

Welcome Evan !! and i am a .45 fan too as are many here

and yours seems to be a nice one

and again welcome to The Firearms Forums !!!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts

Good lookin' pistol, here are the changes I notice right away, adjustable sight, ed brown memory groove beavertail grip safety, ring syle hammer, STI trigger, smith and alexander magwell, extended thumb safety, and grips

for comparison

·
Registered
1,329 Posts

and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks for the warm welcome.

HD I had no idea it had that much done to it.
when I bought the Kimber compact mag i didn't know if it would work. I literly jumped up and down when it stuffed right in and was no bigger then the 6rd mag, and also fixed my last round hang up.

Thanks again guys

·
Registered
18,207 Posts

Those sights are millett sights. very good handgun sights. The grip safety and trigger have definitely been swapped for better parts. Some of the springer compacts had a ring hammer so it may be stock. But you definitely got a top notch long trigger, a top notch grip safety and a sweet set of adjustable millett sights.

Welcome to the forum evan. Im a die hard 1911 head myself. Wait til you build your first one. If you think youre hooked now, building one that turns out good and shoots one holers will have you hocking you lifes savings to buy more 1911s and parts.. ;)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Ohh yeah I'm definitely hooked.

Got a question. The magazine it came with is colt magazine. This magazine wouldn't feed the last round. Can I take it apart and clean it. It feels gritty compared to the kimber magazine I bought.

A cop buddy of mine has been here teaching me proper grip and stance in a few hours were going to go out after Jack rabbits. I feel after a proper grip and dry firring all day with a penny on the front site that my accuracy will be improved.

Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
1,329 Posts

yes you can take the colt mags apart to clean them I just push the follower down about 2 inches then stick a nail or punch through one of the holes and turn the mag upside down and drop the follower out then pull out the punch and take the spring out and clean it well and put it back together

·
Registered
18,207 Posts

stretch that follower spring a bit.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

After a lot of shooting and inspection I've decided this things been shot a ton
I found some mushroomed metal that I've reshaped back to new and poloisded the end of the barrel and deal that supperts it. Its much smoother now.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts

Where? Under the barrel where the barrel link is ? How much did you take off?

·
Registered
18,207 Posts

Hopefully none. Messin with the barrel at its key lockup areas (hood, Lugs, Link, and muzzle/bushing) will destroy your accuracy.

Best to leave those places to wear on their own. That is THE life of that weapon.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

At the muzzle hopefully I only took off what was hanging up. Kinds lappet it with.Remington bore cleaner. Still haven't shot it since. I'm hoping its more accurate since it will be feeding ammo more consistently.

I was wondering if I could put a bull barrel on this thing and start with fresh parts. I also want the buffer after seeing what happens during metal to metal impacts.
shoulda got a few before pics

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Sometimes metal when impacted becomes bigger kinda like peening ,it slightly expands. I'm hoping that's what happened

·
Registered
173 Posts

yep I got one just like yours Evans.... only thing I notice that I dont have a guilde rod and the same thing like yours.. I had one hellva time striping it down.. I had ti take to the gunsmith.. he install a removealbe rod.. It works well and gives me a better grouping on the target. I will post pics later on tonight....I didnt do anything more to it

·
Registered
18,207 Posts

If the slide is banging intot he frame that hard your recoil spring is done. OR youre shooting HOT loads. Either of which are easy fixes. Case #1, replace the recoil spring... Case #2, stop shooting HOT loads..

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Shooting factory ammo
Recoil spring I'm told is stiffer aftermarket but could be wore out. I'm out of town working. Can't beliv I haven't found a place to shoot. At home in Idaho I have thousands of acres of public land to shoot.

I'm eying the 185gr hollow points and aa#5 probly try noslet book loads from the nolser#6 loading book first.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts