The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in May I picked up a ATI 1911 GI and have been carrying it instead of the .22 Mag revolver I was packing. I've been using Hornady XTP +P 230 grain as my daily ammunition after a 100 rounds of FMJ.

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
Just remember to practice dropping that safety if you’re carrying “cocked and locked.” That should become second nature if your EDC is a single action gun.

·
GUNZILLA
6,422 Posts
Carried a 1911 for decades until I got a wild hair up my nether regions and decided to carry a 686+. Congratulations.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just remember to practice dropping that safety if you’re carrying “cocked and locked.” That should become second nature if your EDC is a single action gun.
It has the minute my hand touches the butt the thumb is at safety.

·
Administrator
32,160 Posts
Congrats on your new 1911 purchase.
Why did you decide to carry cross draw and what holster are you using ?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My body doesn't fit well with strong side carry unless its a cowboy rig, or tactical drop leg, I'm using a Blackhawk holster with Pitbull tactical magazine holster which I just received Saturday, so far I'm impressed with all three. And carrying cross draw puts the sidearm next to my door when driving so I have a element of surprise if attacked.

Reactions: mudman35962

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Carried a 1911 for decades until I got a wild hair up my nether regions and decided to carry a 686+. Congratulations.
If and when cool weather arrives, I'm going to carry my .41 mag S&W mountain gun just for the heck of it. What holster and belt do you carry it in for CC?

·
Administrator
32,160 Posts
My body doesn't fit well with strong side carry unless its a cowboy rig, or tactical drop leg, I'm using a Blackhawk holster with Pitbull tactical magazine holster which I just received Saturday, so far I'm impressed with all three. And carrying cross draw puts the sidearm next to my door when driving so I have a element of surprise if attacked.
I understand the part about drawing in a vehicle. Did you checkout pancake style holsters ?
They sit tight against your body, comfortable, conceal very well and easily accessible.
I just don't see cross draw as an advantage. But, whatever works for you.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did from MidwayUSA but everything was backordered. I prefer to purchase from them but with all the backorders I went to the shop I picked up the firearm at.

·
GUNZILLA
6,422 Posts
If and when cool weather arrives, I'm going to carry my .41 mag S&W mountain gun just for the heck of it. What holster and belt do you carry it in for CC?
The holster is custom made by Blackhills Leather out of Laredo Tx. The belt was from Crossbreed Holsters. But just recently George stated that he is uses a Kores gun belt from Kores Essentials and was not familiar with them, so I ordered two because I liked what they have and ordered two and have been wearing two days only. I'll stick the with Kores belt very comfortable and a better fit for me. I bought two the X3 in leather and tactical for $89 something.

https://www.blackhillsleather.com/product-category/gun-leather-holster/
https://www.koreessentials.com/collections/gun-belts/products/x3-buckle-black-tactical-belt

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its been almost a year since I started with my 1911, one concern that I had was after a year the action wouldn't be very tight on the firearm, well that concern has been eliminated. It proven itself as a dependable farm weapon even though its my daily carry, I'd bank my life on it. I have been training with it on a weekly basis, using dummy rounds to conserve ammo as much as possible. I wish I could find a light/laser combo for it or just the laser.

·
Super Moderator
39,841 Posts
Crimson Trace makes a product called Laser Grips, there is a set for a 1911. I just did a quick search to verify who makes them and I can say that they are sure not cheap at $335 (at Midway). I had a set on a 1911 that I had years ago and when I sold that 1911, I forgot to take the grips off of it.

·
Premium Member
9,392 Posts
Its been almost a year since I started with my 1911, one concern that I had was after a year the action wouldn't be very tight on the firearm, well that concern has been eliminated. It proven itself as a dependable farm weapon even though its my daily carry, I'd bank my life on it. I have been training with it on a weekly basis, using dummy rounds to conserve ammo as much as possible. I wish I could find a light/laser combo for it or just the laser.
On my 1911 is Crimson Trace grip laser and it works great. You just replace your grips with this and it is finger activated.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Crimson Trace makes a product called Laser Grips, there is a set for a 1911. I just did a quick search to verify who makes them and I can say that they are sure not cheap at $335 (at Midway). I had a set on a 1911 that I had years ago and when I sold that 1911, I forgot to take the grips off of it.
How accurate was your 1911 with the laser grips?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts