New 444 Marlin

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by JD4310, Dec 21, 2016.

1. JD4310

JD4310 New Member

I just picked up a single shot CVA Scout 444 marlin tonight. In my research to find a gun for my son, I heard a couple of local guys rave about them. I'm anxious to put a scope on it and take it to the range.

Kweeksdraw, m77user and Alaska444 like this.
  2. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

Never had one but I know a couple of guys that have had some experience with them. One of them said it kicks like the proverbial mule. The other one had an interesting story, he said he was at a friends place out in the boonies somewhere and the guy had a Marlin 444 lever gun. He said the guy loaded it up and handed him the gun and said pick a target. He said he aimed it at a telephone pole, and touched it off. He said when the bullet hit the pole it broke in half and fell dropping the power and or phone lines. He said he stood there with his mouth wide open for a few seconds, took the gun into the house wiped it down with alcohol to remove his finger prints, them jumped on his bike and left before the cops got there.

gvw3, accident, joe45c and 2 others like this.

3. Alaska444

Alaska444 Well-Known Member

It's my favorite rifle by far but shooting down telephone poles? Sounds a bit far fetched.

Recoil? Not bad but I added a bit of lead to the buttstock and out a Limbsaver on it. It ain't bad at all with those modification but in a 7.5 pound rifle might be a bit of thumper but not as bad as a 45/70 at all.

Great rifle and you will enjoy it.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    joe45c and m77user like this.
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Unwritten rule - It didn't happen without pictures!;):D

SilasW and howlnmad like this.
  5. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Got a Marlin in 444. Kicks like a freakin mule.

accident likes this.
  6. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Mine did too.It is the only rifle to give me scope eye.

howlnmad likes this.
  7. JD4310

JD4310 New Member

From what I have heard from a couple of guys that have one, it doesn't kick too bad and the owner at the shop said it is comparable to a 20 gauge. The gun is fairly heavy for a single shot.

Alaska444 likes this.
  8. Kweeksdraw

Kweeksdraw Well-Known Member

You bought it for you son, and you're gonna take it to the range. You might get put on Santa's naughty list.

9. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Well according to this table I just found it has more recoil as rated in ft-lbs than a 30-06 and comparable to a 45-70 with a projectile in the lighter end of things (http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm). Without some sort of buttpad it might be a bit crispy for a beginner. If he's experienced then I wouldn't worry about it. Also, I see your 44 years old so we may be making a fuss out of nothing. I'm 48 and have a 23 year old so your son may be older than I was first thinking. Not sure I'd start an 8 year old out with a 444 but a teenage boy I wouldn't expect to have a problem.

10. JD4310

JD4310 New Member

The 444 is for me. We bought our son a 45-70 Henry for Christmas. Seriously considering sellinga few guns I bought over the past few years that have no sentimental value and I haven't shot to make room for some of the new guns.

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  11. Firpo

Just reread your first post. Not one question mark in the whole thing. Looks like we jumped to a conclusion or two. Enjoy your new rifle and be sure to show pics.

12. Alaska444

Alaska444 Well-Known Member

The way mine is configured, a 20 ga is pretty close to it. For us old folks there are ways to tame recoil.

13. JD4310

JD4310 New Member

My son is 15 (oldest son is 18 but not into shooting or hunting). He will shoot anything, including guns I am too much of a sissy to shoot. He has shot our 7 mm that I have never shot. I don't think he will have problems with the recoil on the 45-70. If the 444 kicks to hard for me, I will just give it to my son! Lol

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  14. JD4310

JD4310 New Member

Here is a pic. Not a great pic but gives you an idea. It has a fluted, stainless barrel. I haven't shot it yet, but hoping to do so soon.

Attached Files:

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  15. Firpo

There ya go. She's good lookihg

Kweeksdraw and JD4310 like this.