New AR-15 Owner with customization question

Discussion in 'AR 15 Forum' started by TerrorGenesis, Dec 3, 2017.

1. TerrorGenesis

TerrorGenesis New Member

On Friday Dec 1st I purchased my long awaited first AR-15, the S&W M&P Sport II - Optical Ready. Among other furniture I purchased a Magpul MOE Carbine Stock-Collapsible. I took it to the range yesterday for our first date. I spent the first 20 rounds dialing in the red dot I purchased, from a seated position and using a block. Once I felt that I was as zeroed as I was going to be able to get, I stood for the next 80 rounds. I felt very unbalanced, not to mention uncomfortable. The rifle felt extremely close to me, as did my arms. In short I felt all balled up. Also to get my cheek in a position that felt comfortable my ear protection would be raised to a point that I had no protection. I had the range master measure my length of pull and the rifle. The rifle is at 13.5" where I am 14.5". He really had no insight on options for gaining an inch, and the smiths were off this weekend.

So here are my questions.

1) Will the Magpul Cheek Riser fit the stock that I've purchased or is it only good for the Fixed Magpul stocks?

2) Will the DPMS A2 Buttstock Spacer work with my stock? And will it cure my length problem?

3) If the answers to one or both of the questions is No, what other options are available to me?

Thanks for any and all help. I have a lot to learn, and there are many more upgrades that I want to make in the future.

2. southernshooter

southernshooter Well-Known Member

Yes Magpul’s fits the Moe and CTR stocks
    https://www.magpul.com/products/ctr-moe-075-cheek-riser

And assuming your stock doesn’t have one installed already they also sell a .55 butt pad
    https://www.magpul.com/products/extended-rubber-butt-pad

I’ve never tried spacers but I believe the DPMS adapter only works on fixed stocks(could be wrong on that). One fact to consider before trying to add 1” is weather. What feels like 1” short in T-shirt weather can be just right in jacket/layers/cold weather gear.

3. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I know you already purchased a collapsible stock , but keep in mind for your next AR, you might consider a full length A2 buttstock

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    crystalphoto likes this.
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I don't know the answer to question #1 but I would imagine the answer is yes.

The answer to question #2 is a big NO. The original A1 stock seems to be a little shorter than the A2 stock and just about all buffer tubes are made for A1 stocks. The only purpose of the spacer is to take up that difference INSIDE the A2 fixed stock.

Alternative is get yourself one of the butt pads in Southernshooter's second link or change the collapsible stock for a fixed one.

5. zant

zant Well-Known Member

You need a Vltor A5 stock setup.It has 7/8 holes-will adjust from charging handle on your nose to arm stretched out.I have long arms and they're perfect.About 100$ for tube/buffer,and spring.

6. Ibmikey99$

Ibmikey99$ Well-Known Member

As mentioned before there are different thickness rubber pads offered by Magpul, I add them to all of my Magpul stocks for the length and rubber protection.

7. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

The cheek riser will fit the collapsible Magpul stocks, but they need to be kept fully extended or they'll interfere with the charging handle operation.