The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received some new brass unprimed 45 acp from remington, question-should I run the brass thru the tumbler to get rid of any oil residue that is still on them? I noticed that when I charged a few pieces with powder and then checked the weight of the load on a scale that I had powder still stuck inside.

Thanks

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
If you have oil, yes clean them up. I have never seen that, but ya never know. Sure it's not static electricity making the powder stick?

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I don't do anything with my new brass other than reload it. I do resize it, then bell the mouth, prime it, and load it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do not believe it is static, I resize, prime, flare and charge then when I pull the brass, pour out onto scale and check weight but it still has powder stuck around the lip. Could this be from the new die when I flare and add the powder maybe some residue (oil) coming off the new die. I just purchased the lee 45 acp die set carbide (4dies-finally found a set) and was sitting to get use to charging and weighing the powder that after 5 pieces that some powder was still around the lip.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Do not believe it is static, I resize, prime, flare and charge then when I pull the brass, pour out onto scale and check weight but it still has powder stuck around the lip. Could this be from the new die when I flare and add the powder maybe some residue (oil) coming off the new die. I just purchased the lee 45 acp die set carbide (4dies-finally found a set) and was sitting to get use to charging and weighing the powder that after 5 pieces that some powder was still around the lip.
No need to weigh the brass, or the bullet. The only thing you need to weigh is the powder, and only when you put it in the brass. Don't pour it back out, and weigh it again.

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
New dies require a good cleaning. The can come with all kinds of oils and gunk. I use BreakClean. If they are using Lee dies that have the "O" ring, remove that before you use any cleaning solvents, it will eat them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
carver-maybe I am saying this the wrong way, very new at reloading. I was trying out the new Auto Disk Powder Measure and Lee Safety Powder Scale to see if the powder that was coming out of the disk was the charge that I need for this set up and trying to get use to reading the powder scale WOW. I am trying to get around 5.5 to 5.8 gr to just plink around and see what works with my 1911.

This is my first reload and seems odd for powder to be around the lip after I pour onto scale to check weight.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I just received some new brass unprimed 45 acp from remington, question-should I run the brass thru the tumbler to get rid of any oil residue that is still on them? I noticed that when I charged a few pieces with powder and then checked the weight of the load on a scale that I had powder still stuck inside.

Thanks
I all ways tumble my new brass, you don't have to but it keeps your sizeing die cleaner and gets rid of that packing oil that they have on them. remember to check your flash holes for burr's to. and yes that's probably why powder is sticking to your brass

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
That might be static causing the powder to cling to the brass. Use the scales pan, drop the powder into it, and weigh it. If it's right, then pour it into the primed brass.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts

·
Registered
21,272 Posts
some flake powders wil do that. It doen't mean that the brass is oily.

if you are worried about it, check the dies for residue, like other mentioned, but I don't think there is a problem at all

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
I would clean one piece of brass and see if the powder still sticks. If the powder still sticks then the brass was OK. I would venture to guess your dies need cleaned before use.

I have never had to clean brass but I always resize it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts