The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my new calvary holster in the mail little bit ago . It's black with US stamped on the flap . Pretty stiff will try putting one of my cap and ball revolvers in a plastic bag and car wax inside of the holster and see how that works . Have heard that helps to soften them up . Will see . It's the last piece . Been making a correct set up for a civil war calvary trooper belt . Got everything else even a sword for it . Got ideas for a costume for our churches Halloween carnival this year . That is if it don't get canceled cause of this Covid stuff .

·
Premium Member
12,984 Posts
Got my new calvary holster in the mail little bit ago . It's black with US stamped on the flap . Pretty stiff will try putting one of my cap and ball revolvers in a plastic bag and car wax inside of the holster and see how that works . Have heard that helps to soften them up . Will see . It's the last piece . Been making a correct set up for a civil war calvary trooper belt . Got everything else even a sword for it . Got ideas for a costume for our churches Halloween carnival this year . That is if it don't get canceled cause of this Covid stuff .
TFF member Firpo once advised me on a product for softening stiff leather. It's been too long and I can't recall the name, but you might consider sending him a PM. The product he recommended was used primarily on horse-related tack as best I recall.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Would like to see it . could you post a few pics.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TFF member Firpo once advised me on a product for softening stiff leather. It's been too long and I can't recall the name, but you might consider sending him a PM. The product he recommended was used primarily on horse-related tack as best I recall.
Will do that thanks .

Calvary ??
Are you sure you don't mean Cavalry ? :D
Sorry sometimes my pronunkiation don't come out in my spelling !!!!

·
Premium Member
12,984 Posts
I need my wifes help to post pictures , I am not tech savy enough
I'm in the same boat - my Dear One's the resident computer wizard, picture taker, photo down-loader etc., but she's been down in the Boise area since February undergoing surgery and a range of post-op rehab procedures. She'll be back home a week from today - then have to quarantine for two weeks. Can't wait - I'm getting really, REALLY tired of my own cooking. :)

·
Premium Member
11,182 Posts
I don't know how it would work for a finished holsters but, when I was making holsters before I put any kind of dye or finish on them I'd soak them pretty good with water then do as you mentioned, wrap the revolver in plastic and shove it in the holster and let it set until dry. Sure made for a form fitting holster.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
I don't know how it would work for a finished holsters but, when I was making holsters before I put any kind of dye or finish on them I'd soak them pretty good with water then do as you mentioned, wrap the revolver in plastic and shove it in the holster and let it set until dry. Sure made for a form fitting holster.
Yep. Worked with a finished holster stretched a bit to fit a Ruger Blackhawk. Would dress it with some neatsfoot oil when finished. :twocents:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Maybe neatsfoot oil?
:thumbsup: . I got it out this morning after sitting over night and with the turtle wax on it I was surprised how much it has loosened up . Still long way to go but the revolver pulls out without having to grunt now . This is not a high end repro of a CAVALRY holster (got it right this time Shooter !!!) but looks good and will serve the purpose . My son on law said he heard the turtle wax would dry the leather over time and to also use a conditioner when done like neatsfoot oil or another conditioner . I hope this takes some of the shine off it for more of a used look .

·
Administrator
24,980 Posts
:thumbsup: . This is not a high end repro of a CAVALRY holster (got it right this time Shooter !!!).
Yes. you did. The only reason I noticed is because it happened to me last week , same word. LOL
I've used Skidmore's Leather Cream. It works good on saddles, bags and holsters. You may want to keep using that plastic bag a while longer before trying anything else. Better yet, wrap it in two bags tonight.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Maybe neatsfoot oil?
That is what I've used on my holsters. Works great to soften the leather and preserve it. Remember how we always used it for baseball mitts? Great stuff.

BTW - that holster is great for carrying and protecting a revolver. I learned my lesson about the open top "cowboy" holsters while hiking with a .44 Magnum in rocky/rough country. The grips got dinged up pretty bad, but the flap-over cavalry holster really works to protect the revolver from scratches and dust. Heck - I've even modified one of my older holsters to protect my S&W .38 Special when I load it with snake shot while tractoring.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Done that many a time too, and while it's drying, use the smooth rounded end of a tool to form fit it to the gun. Neatsfoot rejuvenates old dried out leather, and softens new leather, but too much of it can weaken the leather where it's under stress, like straps and slings.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts