The Firearms Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Yep I got that book also . One I have had for years and like is "Encyclopedia of Western Gunfighters" by Bill O'Neil . It list each gunfighters/outlaws shootout and killing as best to be estimated that is . One gun/history nerd to another did you know Lewis and Clark had air rifles on their expedition ? They used them to impress the indians they met . Can't remember the name it was called but it's true .

·
Registered
7,387 Posts
Thanks Sharps . Missouri deep in history itself . My great, great X granddad was in the Missouri cavalry in civil war , our family still has his muster papers . That's one reason of my interest in cavalry stuff . I had forgotten about Ned Christie . Cherokee Bill was leader of a gang of 15-17 year old half indians , half black young guys that ran wild for a bit . All got hung like most . A revolver used by one of the Daltons just sold on Proxibid for $200,000-275,000 few weeks back . Was watching it but not for my wallet . Robbers Cave in S.E. Oklahoma is cool , couldn't make the hike to it now !!

Do you know what Unit he served with? Mine was with Cav Co. 56th Reg't EMM (Cavalry) as a Private and later Corporal, then 1st SGT of an Infantry Unit (Co. A) of the 56th 1862-1864.

·
Premium Member
11,166 Posts
Ha...I have that same book by Bill O'Neil!! Is he, O'Neil, the author who had a predecessor who was a lawman back then? That other "Gunfighter" book I mentioned has a picture of a young Hickock on the sleeve, if you have that one. It's entertaining but I doubt some of its claims.

Air Rifle....one. Yes I knew that....and I can't think of the maker either. In some book I have a picture of either that rifle or one like it. I don't remember if it survived the trip but, given the way L&C handled everything else, I'm thinking it did.

·
Registered
9,256 Posts
Sharps it was a Girandoni rifle, probably a prototype of the rifle used by Austria. The rifle has been located and people have been making reproductions of it. I think the original is in the Smithsonian. It fired 21 rounds without reloading or pumping up the air chamber, it was 1803's version of the AK 47. They demonstrated it at every native encampment they visited and some think it was the reason they made it to the Pacific and back without being attacked. The Indians didn't know but every man in the group had a magic rifle that made little noise, no smoke, did not require gunpowder and didn't ever seem to need to be re loaded. Lewis was very careful about never letting them see him reload it or pump it up.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
That's it alright . Think the ones they make now sell for 2-3000 . When first read about them was surprised air rifles were used even before then . I feel like a total dumb butt compared to some those people way back before . Those inventors . math guys , scientists and all . Big respect for them and the ones working on cures and stuff today .

·
No Power Options
13,005 Posts
Some of the best quality pictures I have seen in a very-very long time. Great lighting!
What kind of camera are you using and are you using a standard lens or a wide angle.
The color and background are outstanding!!!
:lurk:

·
Super Moderator
38,422 Posts
Also have to remind you all that even though it is a historical thing, drop the discussion of the air rifles used my the L&C expedition, after all, this is not an air rifle forum and I would hate to see some posts disappear.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
:thumbsup:
Also have to remind you all that even though it is a historical thing, drop the discussion of the air rifles used my the L&C expedition, after all, this is not an air rifle forum and I would hate to see some posts disappear.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited by Moderator)
20200923_202131[1].jpg

My wife finally helped me put a picture up of the holster and thought would show my cap and ball revolvers . And before you ask these are JUST the cap and ball revolvers ! Starting at bottom Paterson, Colt Walker , 1854 Navy , Remington Navy , Dragoon and 1860 Army in middle .

·
Registered
9,256 Posts
I always had a lust for a Walker or a Dragoon but somehow life always got in the way of spending the cash on one of them.

Reactions: tedwitt

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Same here . I am naturally a tight wad . These were spread out over 20 years . Some I got pretty cheap at gun auctions or pawn shops for $75-$100 before even they started going up . The Dragoon was last one I bought and it was only one I got brand new cause even the used ones were not much cheaper and wanted to kind of only one left I really wanted . And as far as favorite one it's what ever one I happen to be shooting at the time !

·
Registered
9,256 Posts
I just like the looks of those square back trigger guards on the Walker and the early Dragoon models, I also like the .31 caliber Baby Dragoons. Don't get me wrong, the rest of the open top Colts look good with the round back guards, but I like the style of the square back guards a little better.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I like it that the Walker and Dragoons are a beast and that extra weight helps steady my aim . Seems I start to start swaying with the smaller ones if I don't pick up the sights pretty quick especially with the Navy Colt . But of course they do get heavy after awhile !

41 - 56 of 56 Posts