The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start off by saying I've never been a hunter. My dad was never interested in it, and he started all of us off in organized sports (baseball, basketball, football, soccer, and wrestling). I never even got into shooting until I had finished playing college soccer. I shoot pests, but other than that it's just paper or steel targets.

I was up late Friday night watching TV, and I heard a commotion outside. My dog was out there, and she frequently gets into tussles with every living thing she can catch, so I figured that's all that was going on. However, when I heard a coyote very nearby, I grabbed a rifle and headed out the back door. It's a good thing I went when I did, too, because my dog was backed up onto the porch, and two coyotes were within 30 feet of her with their teeth bared. I know coyotes typically top out around 50 lbs, but my pup is right at that, and both of these looked like they had some size on her.

When I stepped out, apparently everyone thought the odds changed. The coyotes took to running away, and my little idiot dog thought it would be good for us to chase them. So those three headed into the woods at a full sprint, and I'm chasing after only because I know those 'yotes have bad intentions for my pup. She lost them about 150 yards from the house (or at least that's where she was stopped when I finally caught up); I lost them into the dark before I even got off the porch. I never had a decent shot.

So anyway, I don't like predators coming up to my house. And I especially don't like predators who try to kill my wife's favorite thing in the whole world. So now I'm a coyote hunter. Except I haven't the slightest clue what I'm doing.

I have an AR in 5.56 with an EOTech sight (no magnification), a 12 gauge shotgun, and I have a 4x scoped .22 rifle. It'll be several months before I've got resources set aside for a proper varmint set up, so one of those is going to be where I start. (I also have a friend who is going to join me, and he's been hunting much more than I have, but he's also new to coyotes. He'll be bringing a 300 Win Mag.)

I live out in the sticks, and I don't have neighbors very close. My back porch overlooks a ravine with a wide creek bed, and I've seen a coyote down there a time or two in the past. That's also where they took off running when they saw me.

So I guess what I'm really looking for is some advice and beginner tips. What do I need? Calls? Decoys? Just be patient on the back porch and see if I can watch them walk past some time? Seriously, I need all the help I can get.

·
Registered
9,415 Posts
Personally I would get an electronic call and sit out with your AR especially in the evening. As a matter of fact I would start the call about the same time you saw them. Set some stinky meat out and call away. Keep the call handy year round and keep the yote's population down. One coyote can kill a dog 3 times it's own size. If you don't eliminate them they will be back for your dog. I hope you get them.

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was up late... I didn't see them until about 1 AM. I don't want to start that late.

I've seen them a couple times between 8 and 9 AM. Is that a reasonable time of day for coyote hunting?

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
The hunting I did back in the 70's and 80's was a combination of trapping and hunting. For trapping I would set a leg trap on a cow carcass that the coyotes were visiting or I would find a carcass that I could see from a distance and watch it, usually in the mornings. I have a friend that hunts them with a call. It has multiple sounds that can be changed with a remote control. He says that when you hunt with a call you have to be ready because they usually come in running fast. The more room you have to see them coming the better off you'll be. They are very intelligent and once you start hunting them and take a few shots at them they will become cautious and may not come back for quite a while. The coyotes I hunted would run from any vehicle within a mile or if they sensed any kind of danger. Good luck and Happy Hunting.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Before i even get really started I will probably fire everyone up somewhat. I would first get a mouth blown call by Faulk's. Model number P-60-A. It is an adjustable call but you probably do not need to adjust it at all. You say there is a creek draw by your place. that is a highway for game animals. Early morning or late of the evening (hour before sundown) find a place to sit at least partially concealed. If you can put your back to a large tree of some item to break up your image. Perfect type area I am referring to would be where a second draw comes into the creek bottom. Should the creek be big enough that the coyote does not want to swim across, even better. If you can pick that tree on the knowl where the draw joins the creek that would be perfect. Here is where it gets touchy. I do not use an AR for anything since I left the military. They do work very well though. Figure on being fairly close before you get the shot (50 yards or less) and probably at an animal coming in fairly quickly. I have had them almost run over me before they realized the brown stuff was about to splatter. Have your buddy (if he is with you) face 180 away from you. That way you have the area completely covered. You can use a piece of fishing line tied between the two of you to communicate that you see something. No fishing line? Dental floss works also! :eek:Should you be alone just position yourself to your best vision.Wait about five minutes before starting calling. If you smoke for gosh sakes leave them at home.:confused: Take a shower and put on fresh clothes that do not smell of tobacco smoke. Do not blow constantly,wait for two or even five minutes before blowing again. keep your eyes open for any movement. You may even call in a bobcat looking for an easy meal. Good Luck and if you have any questions that I can answer feel free to ask. Oh yea just for the record. i was a professional guide for over twenty years been hunting for 55 plus years. Yep,been there done that,pictures to prove it. :D

·
Registered
9,415 Posts
I was up late... I didn't see them until about 1 AM. I don't want to start that late.

I've seen them a couple times between 8 and 9 AM. Is that a reasonable time of day for coyote hunting?
Ya, I kind of figured it was late. The coyote is an opportunist and can and will hunt either time. The fact that you saw two of them approaching your house means they are thickly populated and not too scared which is good. I would imagine that if you called them any time of day they are going to come in. If you can hang a rabbit fur on a bush and place you electronic call out near it they'll move in. Once you bust a couple they will wise up for a few days and then you can call a few more in. They are smart. They get shot up around here and when they do you have to move to a new spot for a couple of days because they catch on quick to what is going on. You can call them in day or night. Trust me, they are hungry. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
See what your local and state regs are on lighting and hunting at night. Most animals can't see blue lighting when it's steady, so maybe some blue tinted floodlights on the side of the house could slide the odds in your favor.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I see this as an opportunity! :D You may want to invest in a game camera (about $80.00) and set it up to find the best time to whack them. The others are right about the mouth call; just remember, like deer hunting, movement is your enemy. If you have seen them between 8-9 set up at 730. Think about videotaping the hunt! Every one you kill protects pets and other wildlife in the area so have at it.
Looking forward to your posts…
fred

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I have a coyote-specific gun much sooner than I expected.

Shotgun Air gun Hardwood Trigger Cable

It's a Remington 700 ADL Varmint in .223. The scope is a Cabela's Pine Ridge Tactical 6-18x40. Traded an old shotgun and $200 for it, so I think I came out good.

Also picked up a box of Hornady V-Max bullets to load up. :D

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you reload?
I do. I'm starting with the 55 grain V-Max, but if those don't work as I'd like, I'll move down to 50 or even 45.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I like the Nosler Ballistic Tips but have used the V-Max with very good accuracy.I am about to try the new CFE-223 powder in my 22-250. Reviews are really good on it but I am always skeptical until I see results in my firearm. Good Luck with your new rifle. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Around here the trash dogs run at night and very early morning. Always seems like a scout first then another 2-3 show when alls safe. I have my trusty winchester 30-30 and my ruger to end the problem . But they run like hell at any movement and can clear a good sized fence no problem. waiting is the hard part but it's a need to thing if you want to get them off guard.

·
TFF Chaplain
21,987 Posts
I do. I'm starting with the 55 grain V-Max, but if those don't work as I'd like, I'll move down to 50 or even 45.
What's the twist? My heavy barrel styer has a 1:9 twist and likes 69 grain SMK's. I know that's not a varmint head, but if yours has a faster twist maybe the heavier head will work better.

I use 24.6 grains of N140 in a PPU case or 24.4 gr N140 in an FNM case; 22.4 grains in a PMC case.

Hope you get them. Are the skins worth anything?

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What's the twist?
1:12. I'm probably at the top end of weight for that barrel with the 55 grain bullets, but it's rare in this area to have a shot over 200 yards, and 300 would really be the most I could ever expect.

Hope you get them. Are the skins worth anything?
Skins have a small bit of value earlier in the winter, but by now most of them have started to rub themselves on trees, etc. and have messed up their coats.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Watch the wind. If they get a wiff, the gig is up. Dusk and dawn are great times to hunt, but if conditions are right, any time of day will work. Carefull with the baiting, you'll probably just get more pests in the area.
A call, electric or mouth call, are great...add a motion decoy to seal the deal and your chances improve a lot. Do NOT move after you call...they will be looking. Let them get curious and approach. They are sneaky critters!!!
Good luck!!

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know that these coyotes hunt within 60 yards of my house frequently--I've seen them probably half a dozen times now.

I have this decoy: http://www.basspro.com/Quiver-Critter-Decoy/product/94800/
And these calls: http://www.basspro.com/Buck-Gardner-Calls-Predator-3-Call-Pack/product/94785/
I've been practicing with the calls for a solid week, so hopefully I'm at least adequate. And the little "coach" thing isn't terribly loud, but it has been helpful at developing how to move my hands for proper tones, and having a guide as to length and pace of sounds has been good.

My plan is to set up on my back porch, which overlooks a steep 30 foot slope to a broad creek bed. I've stood out there and watched them a time or two. As long as I can keep the dog from barking, I think they'll come right up.
I've had my coveralls hanging out on the porch since Wednesday, so they should be used to the smell by now. Even if they do get a whiff of me, I don't think it'll bother them.

Will it work? I can't say yet. But I'll be out there tomorrow, so I'll let you know.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
If nothing else, you can reinforce the idea in their heads that they are NOT the top predator in the area...who knows, maybe they will go elsewhere and leave the wife's dog alone.

·
Banned
6,876 Posts
that is a picture of a yote? i thought it was a fox? i would not shoot anything either but if they came after my pet they would be dead don't mess with my pet.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts