The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a set of digital scales.It measures grams,grains,kwt,oz and a couple other settings.I put it on grains and poured my powder on the scale and it didnt move off of o.o .I was attempting to weigh 4.6 grains of powder.Now if I put the .45acp casing with powder it registered 8.8.Anyone got ideas would be appreciated.thnks

·
Registered
92 Posts
Did you calibrate it before you tried to weigh anything. I have the Hornady Lock and load automatic scale and dispenser and it needs to be powered on for a few minutes to warm up and then calibrated before it will function right. It still registers cold and before calibration though.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I bought a set of digital scales.It measures grams,grains,kwt,oz and a couple other settings.I put it on grains and poured my powder on the scale and it didnt move off of o.o .I was attempting to weigh 4.6 grains of powder.Now if I put the .45acp casing with powder it registered 8.8.Anyone got ideas would be appreciated.thnks
The scale should have a calibration function and you need calibration or check weights. What do the instructions that came with the scale say? What scale do you have and what is the weighing range?

·
Super Moderator
28,128 Posts
A little more info on the scale would be helpful or a link to one.

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
Ryan, first make sure you calibrate it. You don't have to calibrate it every time you power it up, but you need to calibrate it every time you stat a new reloaing session or if you move the scale, for best accuracy.

Then, place the empty brass on the scale and hit the "Tare" button. That will set the tare to "0.00". Now you can begin putting powder into the brass and weighing it. Try that. If that doesn't work then call me.

Jim

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I picked up one of those $80 Cabelas digital scales, not satisfied with it. It drifts off even after I calibrate it, went back to my cheap beam scale which I trust. What is the best quality of digital scales out there?

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have 3 cheaper digital scales and an expensive lab scale but I still prefer the RCBS beam scale. The expensive one is the least accurate and less dependable. Go figure! Makes me wonder if meds are as inconsistent.:confused:

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
A little more info on the scale would be helpful or a link to one.
Ok,sorry about that here is what it is. US balance,Model is US-Magnum 1000XR.
It weighs up to 1000 grams.It doesnt say how light it will go.It says to calibrate it you have to press the calibrate button and place a 500 gram weight on the scale.Where do I get a weight that weighs 500grams?I went in to my freinds pharmacy and he give me his weights but the largest weight is 50 grams.If I put all the weights in the kit it wont come close to 500grams.On the box to the scales it lists on of the uses as weighing gunpowder.Hope that with help.Where can I find a 500gram weight?

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Ok,sorry about that here is what it is. US balance,Model is US-Magnum 1000XR.
It weighs up to 1000 grams.It doesnt say how light it will go.It says to calibrate it you have to press the calibrate button and place a 500 gram weight on the scale.Where do I get a weight that weighs 500grams?I went in to my freinds pharmacy and he give me his weights but the largest weight is 50 grams.If I put all the weights in the kit it wont come close to 500grams.On the box to the scales it lists on of the uses as weighing gunpowder.Hope that with help.Where can I find a 500gram weight?
I'm assuming you are using this scale for reloading (measuring powder). According to the specs, this scale only has a resolution of 1.5 grains and maximum of 15,000 grains. Doesn't seem like a very good reloading scale to me unless your reloading 50BMG.

Look at the link below for calibrated weights. When you are dealing with weights up around the 500 gram level, they can be very expensive.

http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/calibration-weights-sets.html

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
that's why I like a real relaoding scale. I toyed with a few non relaod scales and didn't like them.

I have a lyman I love..

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I figured it.I set it to grams and set a full can of Mt dew on it and it came to like 470 grams so I took and another mtdew and drank it until i got it to way 30grams and then stacked it on the other can to equal 500 grams.I hit the calibrating button and it displayed the word (pass).I then set it on grains and dumped my powder on it and it read 4.5 grains only .1 off the beam scale.Ill probably stick with the beam scale though.

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
I figured it.I set it to grams and set a full can of Mt dew on it and it came to like 470 grams so I took and another mtdew and drank it until i got it to way 30grams and then stacked it on the other can to equal 500 grams.I hit the calibrating button and it displayed the word (pass).I then set it on grains and dumped my powder on it and it read 4.5 grains only .1 off the beam scale.Ill probably stick with the beam scale though.
That is assuming the scale that you weighed the cans on is calibrated. I am also assuming you used the scale in question to weigh the Mtn. Dew cans. If so it is a rough estimate.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is assuming the scale that you weighed the cans on is calibrated. I am also assuming you used the scale in question to weigh the Mtn. Dew cans. If so it is a rough estimate.
I weighed the dew cans on the same digital scale.Then I removed them and pushed the calibration button as directed by instruction manual.It flashes 500.0 grams.Then I place the dew cans back on scale and the readout showed passed.Then I switched the mode button to grains and it registered 0.0.Then I poured the gun powder on scale and it read 4.5.My Lee perfect powder scale and my micrometer on my powder hopper are set at 4.6 so I think it was pretty accurate what do you think Highboy?

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
Ryan, I have a cast lead bullet. It is a .431 (.44) 240g SWC. It's actual weight on my RCBS scale is 237.9g, and my digital scale is 238.0g. So one of my scale's iss off by 0.1 of a grain. This seems like a lot except it is negligible because the amount of powder that you will be measuring will only be a fraction of what my bullet weighs. Also, my digital scale is calibrated "Dead Nuts On!"

Here is what you do.

Zero your balance bean scale. Make sure is is properly zero. Measure your bullet all the way out. Now place your bullet on your digital scale. Subtract one from the other and that is how far off your digital scale is.

A bullet is a good reference because is is an unchanging weight/mass.

Let us know.

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
If this is a new scale, did it come with a calibration weight?

Also, if your scale is not level it will weigh inaccurately.

Also, if you calibrate your digital scale and then move it, it should be recalibrated.

·
Super Moderator
41,422 Posts
Mountain Dew calibration weights :eek:. Now I've heard absolutely every thing :D :D!!

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
Mountain Dew calibration weights :eek:. Now I've heard absolutely every thing :D :D!!
Hey moody, the part that I neglected to tell Ryan is when I was over at his house, I drank a little more then 440 grams out of the empty Mountain Dew can, but I just couldn't help it. :D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts