New England Firearms

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Virgil S, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Virgil S

Virgil S New Member

Hey guys and gals. Among my small collection is a pair of NEF singles, namely a 270 win. and a 20 ga. youth that I bought for my daughter to use. Both guns were bought new in 2001 and both sport beautiful limited edition wood stocks (the rifle is laminated with red, green, and natural layers and the shotgun is oak). My question centers around the limited edition bronze medalions in the stock. What is the story behind these medalions and is this a rare collectable? Thanks for your time.

shootbrownelk, tedwitt and BlackEagle like this.
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

I have a couple of NEF rifles and do not know of any medallion on them. There is nothing collectable or rare about a New England Firearm rifle or shotgun. A picture of this medallion sure would be nice!

shootbrownelk, DCman, tedwitt and 3 others like this.

3. Virgil S

Virgil S New Member

IMG_20200602_215409397.jpg

4. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

Virgil, here is a link to a website that has some information on New England Firearms. I did not read the whole thing but it might have information on what you are looking for:
    https://www.chuckhawks.com/nef_rifles.htm

shootbrownelk, tedwitt and BlackEagle like this.
  5. Virgil S

Virgil S New Member

Thank you sir.
    Nk

shootbrownelk and tedwitt like this.
  6. johnsxj

johnsxj Well-Known Member

NEF and rare/collectible usually aren't mentioned in the same sentence. 2001 would've been about 10 years into that company name. They had bought the old Harrington & Richardson company and continued making the same products under the new name.

Can't find any info on the medallions or laminate stocks but it was probably just a marketing ploy to upgrade a basic utilitarian gun.

Values are kind of hard to pin down in these crazy times. Some oldish (4-5 years) auctions I found had completed sales on the shotguns with laminated stocks in the $130-$150 range. Currently on "The Auctions Site That Shall Not Be Named" there's a 20ga slugster medallion edition with riffled barrel and scope that's been bid up to $600. But then again right now pretty much anything that will go "bang" in a used gun has been selling for much higher than normal.

7. Virgil S

Virgil S New Member

Hey John, y'all need to quit dissin' my gun man. I'm gonna get a complex! Seriously though, yeah I know. But it really isn't fair. My NEF 270 is very well made and finished, has a good trigger, smooth break, heavy barrel, is more accurate than me and has killed some good deer including a 140" 11 point (almost 300 pound) whitetail and countless ferrel hogs. I wouldn't trade it for anything.
    I suspected that the medallion might not mean anything but I just wondered if anyone knew about them. Thanks for the info. IMG_20200801_142649932_HDR.jpg

8. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Maybe I need to do some cullin'...if stuff is going that high.

shootbrownelk likes this.
  9. johnsxj

johnsxj Well-Known Member

My first "bought it new" gun was a basic NEF single shot 12ga I got at K-Mart for about $65 back in 1992. Now as a somewhat serious Iver Johnson collector, I can't go dissin' other manufacturers much :)

Even if NEF never really hits "collector" status the laminate stocks on your two pieces will always hold more value than the basic birch or synthetic versions.

Virgil S likes this.
  10. pdkfishing

pdkfishing Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have four H&R/NEF single shots; 22 rimfire, 30-30, 45-70 and a 25-06 altered to accept a rimmed case. All have good triggers and, after a little tweaking, will do better than a minute and a half out to any reasonable range. Not collectible or particularly valuable, but, IMHO, a lot of value for the money.

11. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

I have the same model as you exept that mine is in 25-06. (heavy barrel ? )
    It will hold less than one inch all day long. I don't know how much they are worth because I got mine as a Christmas bonus with a retail tag on it for $375 and this was back in 2010.
    I have a Tasco 16X scope on it right now and very few crows in my area.:)

12. DCman

DCman Well-Known Member

Looks like some kind of deluxe version....possibly an anniversary model.
    The serial # is the key to the age.
    "NEF" guns start with "N", but then the letter(s) after that will tell you when it was made. That could help narrow down your search parameter and pinpoint what those fancy stocks and gold medallions really mean.

shootbrownelk likes this.
  13. pdkfishing

pdkfishing Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Just for grins, checked current asking prices for H&R / NEF single shot rifles this AM (nothing to do until the coffee is ready). They are running from about $250 to a bit north of $400. Asking price on one with a medallion in the stock and a cheap scope was $399. Asking prices on rifle barrels generally run between $200 and $300. Shotguns, not so much. With plain hardwood stocks, run from less than $150 to about $250. Didn't seem to be too many takers. Coffee's ready; end of search. :D

14. DCman

DCman Well-Known Member

The rifles always did garner a bit more $$$ than the shotguns....now, try to convince the general public that your Handi-Rifle is worth $400.
    They'll see "H&R" and instantly call it a "Hunnert-Dolla-Gun".

ysacres, shootbrownelk and pdkfishing like this.
  15. DCman

DCman Well-Known Member

...hmmm, "Hunnert-Dolla"....sounds like a manufacturer...

ysacres and shootbrownelk like this.