The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. My name's Dan, I'm almost complete in the process of getting my FFL. I am starting an online gun store. I've done some research and have a plan, but does anyone have any bright ideas for me? I live in Michigan, and I'm an aspiring cop.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
welcome to TFF Dan.

I'm not much good at online business ideas
Running any gun shop is a balance between having good inventory and not having what people are looking for.
There is so much competition online that if you don't have it, chances are other people will.

If you want to advertise your business on TFF, you will need to contact admin to be a site sponsor

·
Junior Advanced Senior Member In Training
7,537 Posts
Welcome aboard, from SC.
Good luck in your new business.

Reactions: dbcooper

·
Registered
91 Posts
Unless you have A LOT OF MONEY to put into it, I would suggest you pick a specialty and stick with that alone.
In order to compete with the big online stores you have to buy LARGE quantities in order to get your cost down so you can be competitive.
I make more money selling pre-1950 guns and hard to find ammo than I do everything else combined.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Maybe you could learn how to do hydro-dipping, or add the Cerakote colors and add that special custom touch for customers. Especially if no one else is offering this service near by.

Maybe you could start a "gun club"(but come ip with a better name for it, lets say $100 for the year, and they get free t-shirt, free box of ammo X many times per year, free raffle ticket in any raffles that you may have during the year, special discounts and coupons during the year; heads up on upcoming sales before the mainstream public?

Talk to any local leather smith's and see if they would make custom holsrers, or custom hip bags? 20160508_133447.jpg 20160508_133501.jpg I had this one made all it needed was added velcro to hold my holster that came from pistol packing mammas. It is so cumfy outside the waist band, but still concealed.

Print up simple target sheets, with your business logo on them, sell them cheeper then the" regular store bought" targets.

Give free hat or t-shirt to anyone who buys a gun at your store, get you business name out there!

Hope something in here is helpful, good luck, can I be your business partner? I can come up with lots of ideas... Please!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Maybe you could learn how to do hydro-dipping, or add the Cerakote colors and add that special custom touch for customers. Especially if no one else is offering this service near by.

Maybe you could start a "gun club"(but come ip with a better name for it, lets say $100 for the year, and they get free t-shirt, free box of ammo X many times per year, free raffle ticket in any raffles that you may have during the year, special discounts and coupons during the year; heads up on upcoming sales before the mainstream public?

Talk to any local leather smith's and see if they would make custom holsrers, or custom hip bags? View attachment 105300 View attachment 105301 I had this one made all it needed was added velcro to hold my holster that came from pistol packing mammas. It is so cumfy outside the waist band, but still concealed.

Print up simple target sheets, with your business logo on them, sell them cheeper then the" regular store bought" targets.

Give free hat or t-shirt to anyone who buys a gun at your store, get you business name out there!

Hope something in here is helpful, good luck, can I be your business partner? I can come up with lots of ideas... Please!! :rolleyes:
Opps I just re-read your post you said "on-line" I was thinking home town store... sorry :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
welcome to TFF Dan.

I'm not much good at online business ideas
Running any gun shop is a balance between having good inventory and not having what people are looking for.
There is so much competition online that if you don't have it, chances are other people will.

If you want to advertise your business on TFF, you will need to contact admin to be a site sponsor

-Thanks man. I'm thinking of starting of starting with Walther and S & W as my 2 main brands. What do you think? I also plan on doing alot of the conventional tac gear. Do you know if Tactical Gear Distributors is a good place to buy from?

·
Premium Member
19,879 Posts
Online will give you customers all over the country. You won't have to worry as much about regional tastes. Like around here SA revolvers don't sell well. Black powder guns are real hard to sell. In other parts of the country they sell well.

Sorry I can't be of much help as I have never been in this business.

·
Premium Member
7,580 Posts
Non-gun, non-fun advice:

Have a business plan in 3 to 6 month increments. Update the plan as things change and as time goes by. Keep your financial books up to date and straight from day one, taxes will ruin you if you ignore them. I suggest you get a CPA to set up a bookkeeping system to start you out right. DO NOT MIX YOUR PERSONAL FINANCES WITH YOUR BUSINESS FINANCES. Set up a loan from yourself to the business. Pay all your business expenses each month or quarter before you pay yourself.

Find a good business/tax attorney and spend a couple hundred talking about your business and get advice. Keep the attorney's card, you don't want to look for an attorney when you need one, you want to call your attorney when you need him/her.

How does the online business work? Do you keep inventory or do you order stuff as you make sales? Is inventory the reason that you suggest specializing in S&W & Walther? If you don't keep an inventory, why specialize in those 2?

·
Premium Member
9,590 Posts
Selling on line will be the hardest thing to do. You will be competing with people that have a huge stock of guns that they brought in bulk and will be able to sell cheaper then you.
Allot of gun wholesalers will not sell guns to anyone that does not have a store front.
You will make very little profit on your sales. You will need to sell allot of guns to make good money.
It is harder and more expensive to do it the way you want too then having a store front and selling to locals.
But either way you need money LOTS OF MONEY........
Think of it this way.
Having a store you are competing with the few store around you. Doing the internet way you are competing with 1000s of dealers all across the US.
Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts