The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I am probably going to get a lot of hassle for this but I need someone that has their FFL to walk me through the process of selling a gun. This buyer/friend has his CCP and is just picking up some lowers that he ordered on a whim.

I have my 07 and have just been making ammo. I just barely got into it, my ffl came in August and I have been pretty busy with another business so not much effort has gone into the selling and transferring of firearms.

Any FFL's out there willing to help me.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
44,134 Posts
I am no longer a FFL holder but as far as I remember, you will need to have your friend fill out the front of the form 4473 and sign it on page two. You will need to complete the remainder of the form with the information on the guns/lowers and what you used to prove he was eligible to buy. You need to record the transfer into your bound book. You need to keep that 4473 on file for as long as you have a license. You should have gotten a supply of 4473's with the information that came with your FFL packet.

I am not sure of this part but I think that if he is getting more than 3 lowers, then there is another form (multiple sales) that also needs to be filled out. Plus if there are additional things required by the state you are in, then you will need to do them also.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Have him fill out the 4473. Make sure he has a valid photo ID. If you are on the internet NICS, go online and fill out the pertinent info and retrieve the status per instruction. If you receive a proceed, fill out your part of the 4473 and have him sign and date it. The date should be the same as the NICS approval. Receive your payment and wish the gentleman luck. If you do not receive a proceed immediately, he may return in 10 working days and pick up his receivers unless you receive a denial. The FBI will not tell you, the dealer the reason for a denial. Your customer must call them to find out the reason. Good Luck on you new business.

·
Super Moderator
30,085 Posts
Have him fill out the 4473. You should be able to do 5 items per 4473. After the approval, you must list them in your bound book and keep the 4473 on file.

·
Premium Member
9,819 Posts
When you got your FFL did ATF talk to you?
In my state a ATF agent comes to see where you are doing business and explains all that you are asking.
You have your costumer fill out a 4473 and you fill out his info. then I call it in (I do not want to put your info. over the internet). You are given a transaction number that you put on the 4473 and are told Proceed, delayed or denied.
You should have gotten all the paper work you need when you got your FFL.
You should have also gotten a book that gives a number you call to do a back round check.
If he is buying more then 2 guns (Or lowers) you have to do a mutable gun transfer paper again how to do this is in the info. you got when you got your FFL.
You do have a permanent bound book to put in all your transactions right?.
Read the books you got when you got your FFL.
Make sure ALL your paper work is complete because you will be checked by ATF and if it is not right you will lose your FFL.
If you are legit then I do not understand. All this was explained to you BEFORE you got your FFL by a ATF agent.
ATF just does not send out a FFL to anyone with out a inspection of your shop (Of if you are in a house) And you are told all you need to know at this meeting.
Something is not right here.
What state are you in?.
Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Goofy your reply was what i was expecting when I first asked the question. I was pleasantly surprised when i recived multiple reply’s that simply answered my question without judgment or harassing.

Now to answer your questions. The ATF did come out and did go over all of this. The did not give me a book per se but did give me an envelope full of docs. I can not find that envelope anywhere right now.
When i met with the ATF i was In the busiest season of my other business which is motorcycle rentals. Mentally I was focused on that and figured I would have plenty of time in the winter to learn and figure everything out. I also am focused on the ammo manufacturing so selling was not the first thing in my mind.
I have a bound book and some 4473’s so looks like I am set for the time being and will get more prepared / organized for the future.

·
Premium Member
9,819 Posts
Goofy your reply was what i was expecting when I first asked the question. I was pleasantly surprised when i recived multiple reply's that simply answered my question without judgment or harassing.

Now to answer your questions. The ATF did come out and did go over all of this. The did not give me a book per se but did give me an envelope full of docs. I can not find that envelope anywhere right now.
When i met with the ATF i was In the busiest season of my other business which is motorcycle rentals. Mentally I was focused on that and figured I would have plenty of time in the winter to learn and figure everything out. I also am focused on the ammo manufacturing so selling was not the first thing in my mind.
I have a bound book and some 4473's so looks like I am set for the time being and will get more prepared / organized for the future.
I was not trying to be either of what you said.
Having a FFL is a BIG responsibility (Especially in these times) If you think I was being rough on you then sorry but those of us that do this for a living take ALL contact with ATF serious and NEVER just listen and not hear what is being said by them.
If you think I am being rough then just wait to your first ATF check.
That is rough....
Asking what you asked is something you should have already known and "Misplacing" the important paper work you received from ATF erks me because it seems you are not ready to do business as a FFL holder and is just handing those that want to take away my business because I sell "Bad guns" a reason to say "See that's what we are talking about".
Find your paper work and do the research to do your job right.
If I am getting you mad SORRY.
But if you want the responsibility of having a FFL then take the responsibility to read and know what you are suppose to know BEFORE you open up your business.
SORRY to all that think I am being a hard butt but This is VERY SERIOUS.....
Especially when people are looking for ways to shut us down.
Mike

·
Premium Member
9,819 Posts
I apologize Bear river armory, as a FFL in NY state who has done this job for many years, I feel that the highest level of knowledge and proficiency should be important aspects of being a FFL holder.
What my greatest regret is knowing that there is another FFL that doesn't hold the same standards.
Are you in UT?.
Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts