The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I found your group when researching an old gun I bought at auction. I found lots of info, but I still haven't narrowed down the age of the gun. Let me know if you have any insight. I have a double action revolver H and R arms company 32 S&W serial number 36XXX. Maybe it is a very early variant of the second model H&R American Double Action the Safety Hammer model. I know the guns were made from 1880-1940. I had it cleaned up and replaced a spring to make it functional. The gunsmith said they shot it so I assume its not manufactured for smokeless powder cartridge pressure

Attachments

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Nice old gun. I believe you are correct as it being a black powder gun. I think the style of the notches on the cylinder for the bolt to engage are one indication. Others with better knowledge should be along soon.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
You I.D.'d your revolver correctly. If it was a late second model the trigger guard would be blued instead of nickle plated. It's very difficult to place an accurate date on your revolver. For this frame type, the serial numbers would go up to 99,999 and then start back again at 1. Crazy but that's how they appear to have done it back then. If a gunsmith has adjusted the timing and fired it then it's ok to use modern .32 S&W Long or short cartridges. This is a solid frame revolver and much stronger than the brake-top models. That being said, don't try shooting excessive hand loads!! Factory ammo is fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You I.D.'d your revolver correctly. If it was a late second model the trigger guard would be blued instead of nickle plated. It's very difficult to place an accurate date on your revolver. For this frame type, the serial numbers would go up to 99,999 and then start back again at 1. Crazy but that's how they appear to have done it back then. If a gunsmith has adjusted the timing and fired it then it's ok to use modern .32 S&W Long or short cartridges. This is a solid frame revolver and much stronger than the brake-top models. That being said, don't try shooting excessive hand loads!! Factory ammo is fine.
Thank you so much for the insight! So you think I have a first model opposed to second?
Yeah, don't think I'll do too much shooting with this one. (Maybe once or twice ) More of a collectors item for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts