new here

Discussion in 'VMBB General Discussion' started by inplanotx, Mar 8, 2003.

1. inplanotx

inplanotx Active Member

lilmiss73
    (9/16/02 9:19:30 am)
    Reply new here
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi all, I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself to you all here and give you a little info about me. I am 29, female, I am married to an active duty United States Coastguardsman.
    I would like to join you all to learn a little more about the Vietnam war and the men and women who sacrificed so much for our beloved country. I also want to say Welcome Home Heroes! All Veterans hold a special place in my heart, and I want to say thank you!

Well, that's a little about me, thank you for reading

Winter11
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/16/02 12:41:31 pm)
    Re: new here
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey!

Everyone must still be sleepin'... so... I'll give ya the first welcome!!!

This is indeed a great place to learn, share, and all that... ya know!

I'm Christine (Winter). I'm 25 and I've been lucky enough to have been a part of this board for a while now... it's a great place... so enjoy!!!!

Always Faithful

SixTGunr
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/16/02 1:29:26 pm)
    Reply Re: new here
    Glad to see another new face here ... "Welcome"

"HUE CITY SHOOTOUT PARTICIPANT ..... RVN '68 TET OFFENSIVE"

Edited by: SixTGunr at: 9/16/02 2:35:02 pm

SixTGunr
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/16/02 1:31:46 pm)
    "Welcome Aboard lilmiss73" ...

Truly appreciate your introduction and your kind words. You'll find some good folks here and a friendly atmosphere so don't be a stranger round these parts and chime in whenever the mood strikes ya ...

They call me "Six" and have yourself a super day!

Ain't no hero ... Just a Nam Vet ...

Six Out!

SixTGunr
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/16/02 1:38:02 pm)
    Hey Winter .....

You oughtta know better than that .....

Marines don't sleep ...

My regards to Nick!

"Semper Fi"

Six

Winter11
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/16/02 2:43:37 pm)
    LOL - yeah... guess I shoulda known better!!!!

Nick's been away tooooooo long. That's what it is....

Always Faithful

TallTLynn
    *VMBB Staff*
    (9/16/02 9:12:02 pm)

Welcome to our humble abode. Glad to see you and look forward to hearing more from you in the future.

hope6970
    *VMBB Staff*
    (9/16/02 11:27:59 pm)
    Hello lilmiss73, Welcome to the board.

Coastguardsman, now there is one I don't remember being on with us before. I bet there is a lot that we could learn from you. Been many years since I was in the military and I didn't know many Navy people let a lone Coastguardsman. All I know as of now, I sure am glad we have those guys on our coast line ( I am on the West side).

I hope you will stay and make this your home and let us know more about your husband.

Welcome Aboard! - Hope

Firestorm Productions
    (9/17/02 8:54:23 am)
    Welcome! I'm a bit new here myself. You can read my intro (albeit lengthy I'm told, and possibly a bit chatty... ) under the "FNG" post.

Psycho!
    Phantom Phixer/Apache Keeper

SixTGunr
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/17/02 9:00:53 am)
    Yea Storm but it was very informative ...

Chatty???

Not!

Have a good one sir ...

Six

lilmiss73
    (9/17/02 10:18:38 am)
    Thank you, everyone for the warm welcome!

Tac401
    Administrator
    (9/28/02 1:12:20 am)

Welcome Aboard lilmiss73!

Tac
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

high2fly
    *Senior Chief Of Staff*
    (9/28/02 4:31:44 am)
    Melissa, we've had somewhat of an introduction already---your initial post about Chris Noel---I told you that when the troops were away from 'round-eye' voices for the duration, even Phyliss Diller sounded feminine and 'tinkly'---is there such a word as 'tinkly'---who knows or cares, huh--- but I bet you can guess what I mean---this is Wilborn---the rank old Senior Chief Seabee---the keeper of the Marine Corps---builder of their footlockers and airfields, messhalls and barracks. In my long lifetime (almost 68 winters), I sure have seen a lot of folks parade thru 'my door'---same is true here on the Memorie Board that JD established for us when the network, MSNBC cut us loose like a leaking lifeboat--lots of people come to visit (we know a lot of them lurk in the shadows for whatever reason)--like the Willie and Julio song,
    about girls that have come in and out of their doors---I remember so many---lots of stories--lots of laughs---many with too much baggage left over from that terrible war you seek to know more about. I promised you a story about Vietnam---got lots of them over at the site they refer to as Wilborn's room---maybe they really mean Wilborn's Rubber Room where I tend to bouce off the walls now and then. Before going to Vietnam, I served with a cadre of CG's members. As we toured the country teaching Disaster Recovery Operations, we tought many of the Coast Guard Stations along the lakes and rivers of the CONUS---Roy Tucker was one I remember so well---a 1st class Storekeeper---one time I let Roy and family borrow my big Mercury stationwagon to go to a family funeral--Roy had a whole raft of kids and a 300 # wife he called "Peanut"---up in the Oakland Bay area, old Roy picked up a speeding ticket and never told me---six weeks later I rec'd a summons and an arrest warrant---need I tell you what this angry, first generation German, senior in rank to sly old Roy Tucker did to Peanut's Roy-Toy? I wrote a certoified letter to the presiding Justice-of-the-Peace and all was forgiven--even Roy forgave me, as that big old shiner of his subsided before we had to go out on the road again!!! Yeah, Roy was a good troop---seemed as if his seabag just wasn't all stenciled. Wilborn

Edited by: high2fly at: 9/28/02 5:37:05 am

lilmiss73
    (9/29/02 8:02:11 pm)
    LOL at "peanut" .....Anyway, I am originally from California, Monterey area. Beautiful area there, but Oakland has gotten pretty bad with all of the gangs and violence..and poor Roy, cops up there have always been bad
    Today, they have signal lights with camera's so even if a cop don't get you the camera will...I am speaking from experiance lol...

Your story was heartbreaking, very sad, but not many stories from war end in happiness.
    Thank you for sharing it with me.

high2fly
    *Senior Chief Of Staff*
    (9/30/02 6:15:03 am)
    It goes beyond pride of accomplishment to finally be able to tell the stories---I suppose the experts would say it has become part of the healing processes. Thank you for getting back---I'm pleased you even read the story---here comes another for you. Monterey is certainly an area of California I would like to live---the plains of Oxnard was the best I could ever do---once you have lived in the Golden State, I think a part of you will always remain there--I find that so with me. A good day to you and yours, Wilborn

lilmiss73
    (9/30/02 1:11:16 pm)
    Boy, I know what you mean by a part of you staying in CA., that's how it is with me too. When my husband and I left for his first unit, I cried all the way out of California, we went straight across--that's a whole lot of crying lol!

A few weeks ago I went on one of my "shopping sprees" at a second hand shop. The owner had many old books there, and me being a collector of books, it was great.
    Anyway, I noticed a 1965 yearbook, we move often and I have collected yearbooks from the various places we've been. This one happened to be in excellent shape, and was only .75 cents so I snatched it up.

Later, when I was home and had the time to look inside, I saw a young man who was graduating that year, by his name and picture was written -Vietnam- I wondered if he'd made it back, so I searched the web for some info on him, I ended up at the Virtual Wall.
    After that, I went looking for more information on him to see if anyone remembered him, could tell me any stories or anything. I talked to a few people, but no one had knew him personally, he was in country only 6 weeks, I was told I might have a hard time finding out about him, (and I did) he may not have had time to make many friends. I learned where and when he died, how, but I wish I could have found out more about him, to know who he was a little better.
    We are going to Virginia for Christmas this year to visit family, I am going to make a trip to the The Wall to charcoal his name so I can put it in the yearbook.

Thank you again for the stories, although I'm saddened by most. You see, even though we never knew these men, we do now, if only a tiny bit of them.
    Take care

berto64
    *VMBB Staff*
    (9/30/02 3:41:56 pm)

lilmiss73,
    Allow me to add my welcome to you. Great people here and I do believe you are the first Coasties affiliate to enter these hallowed grounds. Again Welcome!!!

berto

Endeaver to Persevere

hope6970
    *VMBB Staff*
    (9/30/02 5:14:20 pm)
    lilmiss73, you hang around long enough and once in a while one will remember something that will make you laugh for days. - Hope

high2fly
    *Senior Chief Of Staff*
    (9/30/02 5:18:29 pm)
    Melissa, your story about the 1965 graduate rings kinda like the movie, AMERICAN GRAFITTI (sp) .. You are much younger than I lilmiss, and I remeber California in the Golden Fifties---used to hang out down in Culver City near MGM Studios on Washington Blvd. Land sakes, can I tell you some starlet stories---you just wouldn't believe them ---there was this little 'greasy spoon' coffee shop on Motor Avenue---just across the street from the studio---when stars and starlets aren't well known yet, it's amazing how much friendship you can get for a cup of Joe and a 'sticky-bun'. Yeah, I miss California---I always shall---. Wilborn

Mithrandir
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/30/02 8:05:16 pm)
    I am, as always, a bit late....

Welcome Lilmiss73....

out....
    Esse Quam Videri

lilmiss73
    (10/1/02 12:43:54 pm)
    Thanks for the welcome Hope, Berto and Mith
    Take care--