New kid on the block

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Redball, May 11, 2020.

1. Redball

Redball New Member

Hello, I'm new here and to muzzle-loading and need some advice. where is the best place to buy online. I need Pyrodex ,patches, balls - etc. pistol I have is an Traditions cap and ball in
    50 . caliber. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

orion340 and BlackEagle like this.
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

Welcome to The Firearms Forum. We have a few black powder shooters and I am sure they will show up soon and give you plenty of advice!

orion340, BlackEagle and Limbo Jimbo like this.

3. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporting Member

Try Dixie Gun Works or Track of the Wolf.

4. SeeMor Guns

SeeMor Guns Well-Known Member

I get mine from Natchez Shooting Supply. They have a good selection of muzzleloader stuff, good prices and excellent customer Service.

https://www.natchezss.com

5. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

Welcome from Oregon!

Personally I'd go for Hodgens 777 instead of Pyrodex but that's just my own personal choice having used them both. I'd rather use real black powder than either one of them.

I'd post a link on where to go to get supplies, but forum rules prevent me from advertising the place I work.

6. AStahl

AStahl Member

I have always had good experiences with Dixie Gun Works. They carry everything, even re-enactment supplies.

7. Dave_T

Dave_T Active Member

I will second the idea of using something (black powder would be best) other than Pyrodex. On a humid day that stuff can turn a barrel into a sewer pipe before you get home from the range. My personal experience is that it can even come back and bite you a day or so after you clean your gun.

Just sayin',
    Dave

sharps4590, flintlock and orion340 like this.
  8. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT No Power Options Supporting Member

9. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome from Sitka, Alaska. town.jpg

orion340 and BlackEagle like this.
  10. BlackEagle

BlackEagle TFF Chaplain Supporting Member

Welcome from the UK!!
    I'll second that. I have used both and prefer the 777; if I could use BP I would but it's too much hassle for me over here. If you go for the Pyrodex, get the powder, not the pellets.

Enjoy, and keep the questions coming.

upload_2020-5-14_21-45-50.png

orion340 likes this.
  11. orion340

orion340 Well-Known Member

Welcome from Pennsylvana! P1050370.JPG P1050372.JPG

12. Firedog

Firedog Well-Known Member Supporting Member

VT, Just under the Nostril of the Witches Nose
    Welcome From The GreeN MouNtaiN StatE

3%.jpg

13. El Bango

El Bango Member

See if you can get 1 lb. of 3f black powder as it goes BANG! You will also need an adjustable powder measure and a powder horn as loading from the can is dangerous AND poor form.Get some .490" swaged balls,the brand doesn't matter. Some .15" lubed patches and a tin of #11 percussion caps. You're now set with the very basics to load and fire your pistol. Clean the bore with hot soapy water (it worked for Davy Crocket it'll work for you too) then use a little bit of bear grease on a patch in your bore,(unless you don't have bear grease handy you can use WD-40,it'll work until you get your bear...

The first thing at the range (after following all safety precautions like hearing and vision protection) is to 'pop a cap' or two while always keeping the muzzle pointed down range. This clears the passage way of oil etc. from interfering with the fire from the cap reaching the powder.
    If I were you I'd consult the manufacturers recommendations for load data.When loading always remember POWDER FIRST no brainier huh? After you have your recommended charge of powder poured into the muzzle and with the muzzle up tap the lock side of the piece a time or two. This will settle a little powder into the drum and the fire from the cap will easily reach the main charge. Center the ball on the patch and the muzzle and ram the ball home (snug on top of the powder). WHEN READY TO FIRE, While keeping the muzzle pointed down range bring your piece to half-cock, fit a cap to the nipple making sure the cap is firmly seated on the nipple. Fully cock the piece,aim, squeeze the trigger. Did you feel a thump in your hand? Did you hear a loud noise? Did you see a great billowing cloud of white smoke? Smell and taste the fires of hell? Where else can you get all five senses tested at once? Welcome to the world of black powder. Now clean your weapon.

Firedog likes this.