New loaders

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by army mp, Apr 14, 2009.

1. army mp

army mp Member

New loaders
    I have noticed that there are a lot of guys taking up Reloading. For the first time. Most take the time to read the manuals, but today everyone is always in a rush and taking short cuts, and with the shortage of components, sometimes its hard to find the components that fit your load. #1 read the manual, and stay within the Min, and Max, loads listed. Also a common newbee mistake, push the envelope. You do not need max, loads. Most times you are wasting powder and cases, something else you should consider, a max velocity load developed in cold weather . Will produce dangerously high pressures in hot weather. Also I hear talk about sub-loads. This to has a lot of contrivers around it. I have read where people have had major problems with attempting this. I have reloaded for 40 years but am constantly learning. . This is a great place to ask questions and meet people. But remember anyone can answer a question. And like everything in life some have a great deal more experience than others. Reloading has provided me with hundreds of hours of enjoyment in front of the Reloading bench. And thousands of rounds of cheap Ammo. But it only takes one big mistake to change all that. There are four different gun forms I visit this by far is the best. My 2 cents worth.

2. daboone

daboone Member

With out reading between the lines you statement is 100% correct. If you not constantly learning while reloading something is wrong.... If ya haven't used a bullet puller something is wrong. :p or your much better than me.

Asking questions is the RIGHT thing to DO but don't think the first on line answer is the best or even correct.

Start with the minimum load and if ya must creep towards the max. What the hurry? Enjoy the process and you'll be constantly learning what makes shooting reloads so addictive.
    I don't know about saving lots of money because it gets spent on new guns, dies, components, and toys for the addiction:D

3. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

#1 read the manual, and stay within the Min, and Max, loads listed.
    Or, you'll pick up a wonderful nick-name, such as 'Knuckles' or 'Stumpy'!

4. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Man I love this thread. I haven't been loading but for about 4 years but I am ever so cautious. I even weigh every charge that comes out of my powder measure, not every 5 or 10, call me anul but I know it's not gonna be because I was in a hurry to seat a bullet if something happens. It is just so relaxing to sit and run a couple hundred rounds thru the press but I still stick to the books. NO PET LOADS FOR ME ! :D

5. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Got to agree w/ all of you. 10 yrs/ 50,000 rounds. Always learning something new, w/o "trying" something new.

6. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    Thanks for the post. If I ever get all my gear and some supplies I'd like to enjoy reloading too. I plan to follow the manuals to the letter.

7. RogerWilco99

RogerWilco99 New Member

I'm a handloading noob and have been slowly building up a loading rig when I can find the bits I need for my rifles (223 and 308). I finally got everything together for the 308 and re-loaded 20 rounds. I followed the manuals exactly and got some nice rounds that grouped okay.

I haven't had to use my bullet puller -- yet. I'm sure I'll get there eventually. Those first 20 rounds took me about 14 hours. I took my time so as to avoid mistakes. I'll get faster at it but I'll still be careful. Maybe in a few years I'll know enough to cook up my own loads. I'm in no hurry. I enjoy the process -- and I have several thousand once fired casings to load. I have about 3360 of 308 (20 twice fired, now) and 13440 of 223, I've been saving my brass for about 8 years. I have probably 21,800 9mm cases, too. I don't know how many 45 long colt, 45 acp, 357 and 44 spl but there are a LOT in those boxes.

I've got lots of free time and plenty of brass to work even though I haven't been able to get much of anything for my handgun cases, components or gear. I'm hoping I'll find what I need eventually. Hopefully, the supply issues will subside at some point.

Thanks to the OP for the advice! It pays to RTFM and HEED it's warnings. :)

8. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

How true. After 35 years, 17 cals and thousands of rounds of BP and SP it's still a learning experience for me. I don't know it all, not even close and never will.

To the newcomers: Read, read, read, pay sober attention to your task, stay within the established min & max loads and you'll go a long way toward staying safe.

9. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Yes Bob, That reminds me of the old adage:

There are old reloaders & there are bold reloaders,
    But there are no Old & Bold reloaders....:)

10. BobMcG

I hear ya Bruce and that's probably quite true too. :)

11. flannelman

flannelman New Member

I got my dies in yesterday!!! .30-06 and 9mm. I just need bullets and primers now. I have heard that you should always start with the minimum load and work up. Is this the best idea or should you start a grain or two above the minimum?

12. BobMcG

That's a good rule so don't go breaking it now. ;)

Working from the bottom up is a safe way to operate and you get to see the accuracy of each level as you go. You don't know where the sweet spot is going to be.

Everyone has their personal system they use to work up loads but I'll give you one example of mine. I typically load and fire five rounds of each stage of development. Using the example below,

165 GR. HDY SP IMR IMR 3031 .308" 2.750" 39.1 2537 49,600 PSI 41.6 2697 59,800 PSI

Basically I'll load at these stages: 39.1, 39.6, 40.1, 40.6, 41.1, 41.6, all the while keeping an eye on pressure and accuracy. I'll retest the two best groups with another group of five each and then tweak from there if I feel like it.

13. Haligan

Haligan Well-Known Member

Every now and again someone put's up a very timely and apropriate thread. army mp, this one certainly qualifies.
    Big +1

14. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Thanks for the info Bob. I'll try that out when I get started.