The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New on here. Been around firearms and owned several .22's over the years.

Just acquired a new 22/45 LITE the other day. Put 40 rounds through it yesterday just to give it a quick try out. It started to rain on me so had to cut short.

At about 10 yards it's all over the place. Had to crank the rear site all the way up and it a little to the right just to get it to put them all on a sheet of 8.5 x 11 paper.

This was using the Walmart Winchester 333 box ammo.

No FTF or FTE, or any other malfunctions of any kind. This I was pleased about. I guess I need to try another type of ammo.

·
Registered
20 Posts
1st off.. welcome to the forum.
wow.. all over the place ? how unusual for a Ruger. I've only shot that ammo once,and it ws not nearly that bad for me.
1st thing i'd do is try it from a good solid rest,and take a buddy along to try it with you.Eliminate operator error,so to speak.
what barrel lenght is it.? I have one of the original 22/45's ,with a short barrel,and it's not a tack driver,not with me shooging it anyway,not offhand.
Could just be a learning curve,I know me and mine took a while to like each other.

·
Registered
131 Posts
+1 on practice, practice, practice....

I have one pistol that took me almost a year on monthly range visits to get consistent with. Consistent meaning as, a noticeable grouping, with my other pistols. some folks could pick it up and get 7 for 7 in the X ring of a body target. me, i was all over the 9 ring

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
First off, Welcome to TFF!
Second off, (and this has been my experiance) STAY FAR AWAY FROM THE 333 ROUND BOX's OF WIN. .22lr AMMO!!!! JUNK/TRASH AMMO!
Just my opinion and have "tried" several box's of the "stuff"!

·
Premium Member
19,868 Posts
Are you a pistol shooter? I know some folks that are very good with a rifle but can't shoot a pistol at all. Just asking.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. Most of the shots were off hand. The page looked like it was hit with a shotgun. It is the 22/45 LITE (4.5" barrel). I've had several MkII's and a MkIII prior to this one. I wanted something lighter and better balanced. I'm pleased that "at least" during the initial 40 rounds I put through it first time out, that I didn't have any FTF or FTE's. Of course I did take it apart and clean it before taking it out, so that might have helped.

I do like the Ruger Mark series pistols. I can see I'm going to have to try a few different types of ammo and work on my skills some.

I only have about 2 boxes of that 333 junk. Most of my other ammo is Federal bulk ammo. Of course I have a few .22 long guns that I use it in tho.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you a pistol shooter? I know some folks that are very good with a rifle but can't shoot a pistol at all. Just asking.
Not the best, but have done better with prior MkII's that I've had. I'm no champion marksman, but I do alright getting rounds on target usually.

·
Banned
649 Posts
Pick up the January 2013 issue of GUNS & AMMO. The article on page 20 titled "Off-The-Scale Plinking Pleasure" is all about the Ruger 22/45 Lite.
PS. I've never had any problems with CCIs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pick up the January 2013 issue of GUNS & AMMO. The article on page 20 titled "Off-The-Scale Plinking Pleasure" is all about the Ruger 22/45 Lite.
Thanks, will take a look at it.

·
Registered
886 Posts
22's can be finicky about ammo. Lots of people swear by
mini-mags.

I've got 2 22/45's 4 10-22's and 14 other assorted 22's.
My go-to ammo used to be Federal American Eagle, but the
quality on it has gone sour.

Now it's Federal AutoMatch bulk pak. Runs in EVERYTHING
with good to great accuracy. Stays subsonic in my 22/45's
with a suppressor. I shoot a 22/45 and a 10-22 in steel
challenge competition, and it's the only ammo that runs
100%. And by that I mean over 5,000 rds downrange without
a mis-fire or feeding malfunction.

·
Premium Member
19,868 Posts
I would give the cci's a shot. Its the best out there. My 10-22 will shot anything but cci is more accurate.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, I'll try some CCI's and the Federal Automatch bulk pack and see how it does.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You know I went out and bought that magazine the other day, and tonight I realized I already had it (subscription) duh... LOL Well now I have one to share.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
hello and welcome.i know you will find all kinds of help and sugestions on this forum,these are some great people.i will only add that if you are not used to shooting the 45 frame then it may take a while with practice.i know you were told to try a supported hole like sandbags.try that before you decide to change ammo. old semperfi

·
Registered
21,272 Posts
another vote for using a good rest

I have one for precision pistol shooting and it makes a difference.

Ruger 22/45s are excellent shooters usually

1 - 15 of 15 Posts