New, obviously.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HelicopterDriver, Mar 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HelicopterDriver

HelicopterDriver Guest

And..let me say hello.

I'm Kerry, 19, and going through the US Army's flight school. I love guns, and have been collecting a number of assault rifles. I'm looking to buy more, as well as some add-ons and some long range rifles, and to discuss a little of everything.

My little base arsenal:

Yugoslavian SKS
    AR-15 (preban)
    FN R1A1
    Romarm AK-47

There's more with each, but you all might know something about them.

I'm out.

2. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Welcome to TFF, HelicopterDriver. And a hearty "God Bless" to our nation's active military. Hope you stick around for a while and join in on the fun. That's a nice budding collection you have there (and I get a kick out of seeing you list the Yugo SKS first, as the SKS is one of my favorites). :D

3. Xracer

Xracer Guest

Hi Kerry.....welcome to TFF.

Hope your training is going well....and thank you for serving our country.

4. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporting Member

Welcome to The Firearms Forum

Lots of good info here.

Thanks for serving our country.

5. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

C'mon in H/D, an have sum fun. "most " of da dudes on dis bord aint 2 bad, once in a while sum1 gets carriednaway an he/she usually is. Jus remember 1 dam ting wit da whirly.....shiny side up less its in camo but U capeesh, krect??? :cool:

6. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns Guest

Hey!

Welcome to ya HD...What model or make on your AR...:)

7. HelicopterDriver

HelicopterDriver Guest

Thanks all for the welcome.

The AR is a PWA, made in Milan, IL..

Its the Commando version. I bought it from a flight school buddy. I've got to go off to study, but I'll try to get some more info in a little bit.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2003
  8. sagejester

sagejester Guest

Welcome and a question

Hello Helodriver, welcome.

To all, speaking of SKSs, I just bought a Yugo version, made in the late 50's. All serial numbers match, and it was supposedly never an issued rifle, although it has some physical wear. A friend of mine and I each picked one up. Question is, any recommendations on changing the stock or any other components? I will not be able to pick it up for 9 days, but I am already making plans...

Gaylon

9. HelicopterDriver

HelicopterDriver Guest

I bought mine online, and it came with a fiberforce dragonov stock. It fits pretty well, but it makes the gun a bear to dismantle for thorough cleaning.

10. sagejester

sagejester Guest

SKS modifications

I have heard that. Any other things about it different from the stock version?

11. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss Active Member

Welcome, Kerry. Glad to have you on board.

12. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

You guys that are new at SKS's, be very careful with modifying the Yugoslavian M59/66 SKS. It is a different animal, legally speaking, than other SKS's. Adding a detachable magazine to a Yugo SKS is illegal. They are great rifles, but I'd advise you to do some research on them before "tricking them out".

Here's my two Yugo M59/66's, displaying their grenade launching capability.
    [​IMG]

13. sagejester

sagejester Guest

sks mods

sniper,

your wisdom is well received. I am going to learn a lot about this weapon before making any changes, (or even firing it, for that matter). Maybe you can help me out with one detail though, the shop I am buying this from says that it is a Mk 54. Does that make a difference? Also, here in the PRK, I can not even remove the welded on muzzlebreak and put the grenade launcher on it, even though it has sights and all for the launcher.

Sagejester

14. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

I've never heard the term Mk 54 in talking about a Yugo SKS. The Russian SKS is the Type 45, the Chinese SKS is the Type 56, etc. The Yugoslavian SKS is either an M59 or an M59/66 (if it has the grenade setup). There were supposedly different versions of the 59/66, such as 59/66A1 etc. But I've never heard of Mk 54. And considering the research I've done on the SKS, I'm sure I would have heard that by now. ;) That must be a vendor designation or something.

You are correct, the PRK will not allow the GL because it is a destructive device.

15. ysacres

ysacres Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

welcome to TFF H/D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.