The Firearms Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I watched the whole series on Amazon. Pretty cool! I always wondered if he hit what he was aiming at...the second time...

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I guess the gun bearer is the one who tells the charging elephant to wait until the guy gets his recoil pad on and adjusted? Very accommodating, those elephants.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Now I'm curious. I have an old 4X Leupold M8 that has a reticle like the one in Trap's avatar (German #1?), except that mine has fine crosshair that runs from the (pointed) center post to the top of the sight picture. Can anybody tell me what it is?
That would be a #4 or #7, the one I prefer is the #2. Good slide show showing all the ones from different manufactures.
https://slideplayer.com/slide/4833865/

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Did some work on a gun collection for a friend that inherited her grandfathers guns he used for his African safaris. One was a model 70 .243 Featherweight with a Balvar scope. Had a fine crosshair, but a little lever on the side would flip up a post. I've never seen another like it since.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Thanks, Trap. Interesting slide show. Looks like what I've got is the German #4 in Leupold's catalogue. If I remember right, they refurbished that scope and changed the reticle some years ago.

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Welp, scope arrived in yesterday's post. Just opened it a few minutes ago. Now how cool is this, my first Schmidt & Bender scope and it has just enough wear to match the rifle. Now I gotta figger out how to age these new ring.

Scope and the claw mount rings.

P1010021 (2).JPG

Edit: Well, that didn't take long. Scope with rings and the rifle then the scope mounted on the rifle. Don't know if I'll shoot it today....Arthur is having a field day because the weather isn't the best. Doggone barometer looks like stair steps. 600mg of Ibuprofen hasn't done much.

Eye relief isn't very good but it's definitely workable. As I suspected to use the scope you sacrifice cheek weld. Gotta raise your head to see through the scope. It's clear as a bell and so far I like the post reticle. We'll see how I like it after sighting it in.

P1010001.JPG

P1010002.JPG

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Tell ya what, if that scope was 1/32 longer or the bell 1/32 larger in diameter it wouldn't tip forward far enough to unhook. It barely, just barely lets go but, that's enough

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Got it pretty close to zero just a while ago...now I gotta load some more ammo. Regulation of the barrels with the scope....I'll move the target to 50 yards then 75 before I pass judgment. Looks promising so far. Targets later.

·
TFF Chaplain
18,863 Posts
Looks very nice.

Reactions: sharps4590

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Well, thanks to all of you but the scope just ain't workin' out. With the scope on the barrels just wouldn't come together. Best I got out of about 40 rounds was one right and one left about 3 inches apart, which made for the "looks promising" comment and that was at 25 yards. Move to 75 yards then back to 50 yards and....wild is too strong a description but wide and undependable is apt. My confidence in the rifle and me was a little shaken so after I quit with the scope I pulled it, sat down at 50 yards and put 4 rounds, 2rights and two lefts, into 1 3/4 inches, open sights. Ha...that's better than I ever shot it before by 1/8 inch!! Now I'm feeling a little cocky so I stood up on my hind legs and took 4 shots at my 75 yard swinger that is about 8 X 10 inches...and hit it all 4 times. Figgered I better quit while I was ahead and before my real ability reared its inept head, so I'm headed to the shop for a little cleaning session.

Ah well, all is good. I still have a nice, vintage German scope I can put on one of my Mauser's or Mannlicher/Schoenauer's.....if I want to spring for the flippin' rings!!!

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
If you want to "age" those rings, drop them in a glass of Coke or Pepsi for an hour. Rinse them off and wipe dry, repeat until they match. When they do, a light rub down with 0000 steel wool, and wipe down with CLP.

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Trap, I think they're powder coated. Will the Coke cut that?

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I've only used it to match up blued steel repro parts. It will clean corrosion off brass and copper, but no idea what it'll do to powder coating.

·
No Power Options
13,006 Posts
Place rings in sock filled with oily sand, tie knot in sock. Aquire short wire or rope.
Attach to current "running" vehicle. Drive to store, buy gum. Upon chewing said gum walk to back of hopefully still "running" vehicle to make sure improvised attachment is still in place. Enter vehicle a chew gum visiously until home. Then take a nap.
If said attachment made it home, it will still be there when you wake up. I know, tiring stuff,,,,,,,
:cheers:

·
Registered
9,276 Posts
I've only used it to match up blued steel repro parts. It will clean corrosion off brass and copper, but no idea what it'll do to powder coating.
Powder coating is some pretty tough stuff, we had a powder coating line at a previous employer of mine, if the powder coat had flaws it had to be burned off in a burn off oven, bead blasting wouldn't hardly touch the stuff. I powder coated my youngest son's BMX bike when he was about 10 or 11, he is pushing 30, the bike has been ridden hard and put away wet by him and several grand children. The bike hasn't got a single scratch in the finish, it's still as bright and shiny white as the day it came off the powder coat line.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts