New Press

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Big R
    (12/17/02 11:03:49 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All New Press
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well I finally broke down and bought a Dillon RL550B, and I'm glad I did. Setup was a breeze and the time saved over my Lee Turret Press is phenomenal. (I'm still using the Lee for my rifle loads I still like to weigh each charge on them, but you can't beat the Dillon on .45 acp.
    .22 or 7mm Rem Mag, it doesn't matter. As long as I'm shooting I'm Happy

Edited by: Big R at: 12/17/02 11:04:42 pm

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (12/18/02 3:36:44 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: New Press
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Big R, you did the right thing, you and your Dillon should be very happy together...just don't forget to feed it regular...its appetite knows no limits.

Gunguy

1badassmagnum
    (12/18/02 11:33:16 pm)
    how many rounds per hour can you pump out on the 550?
    I just ordered the rcbs piggy back unit,too much time loading,not enough time shooting.
    the specs on the rock chucker is 400 rounds per hour,I'll be more than happy if I can make 400 that fast

Ballistic
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/19/02 4:38:18 pm)
    i heard some presses can make up to 1000 rounds per minute... thats a lot of ** rounds!!

Ballistic - once again, please refrain from using obscene words or inferences in the forums. Kdub

Edited by: kdub01 at: 12/19/02 6:11:03 pm

1badassmagnum
    (12/22/02 11:20:42 pm)
    shesh,I'm lucky to get 400 done a day,the standard single stage may be slow,but I dont waste any componants.9mm was a dissaster with the piggyback 3,hope 440 corbon and 50 ae work better or I'm back to single stage till I can afford the 550.you guys are making me jealous.

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/23/02 1:50:24 am)
    I can crank ~4-500 .45ACP / hr with my 550, not including the preliminary 20-25mins setup of primer tubes, powder, brass & bullets.

if you will be reloading several different calibers, you'll save even more time if you do the largest batches / 'runs' you can.
    Rich

1badassmagnum
    (12/28/02 9:50:54 am)
    my 440 rounds and 50 ae's work much better on the rock chucker.the longer cases make lining up the case and dies much easier,less powder spilling,better crimping etc.I do have trouble finding the aps strips,so it takes a few extra minutes to load the primers into the strips.but I'm definately getting better the more I practice.I still would love to run some ammo on that 550.

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (12/28/02 11:16:55 am)
    raya, I'm gonna get blasted for suggesting this...but, its a lot faster to dump primers onto my RCBS # 90200 Hand Primer tray and squeeze the handle to insert the primers into the brass.

Lee stuff does the same thing but they wear out after too much volume loading.

Taking away the priming operation on the Dillon frees it up for another die station like bullet seating or powder case checker die.

Here comes the brick bats, ouck ouch!

GG

Big R
    (1/6/03 11:35:49 pm)
    sorry bout the delay guys been kinda busy. All in all I have been very satisfied with it, the only thing you really need to watch is the priming operation, but I still wont go back to hand priming in my opinion it defeats the purpose of a progressive press, but thats why they make different models

To each their own.

.22 or 7mm Rem Mag, it doesn't matter. As long as I'm shooting I'm Happy

2. SCOTCHMAN

SCOTCHMAN New Member

I have 4 station turret my wife bought it for my birthday last year.your right its not much faster that a one station press.does your lee dies fit you new dillon press or do you have to start all over again.I know there pricie.
    scotchman new on the forum but not new to the game

Last edited: Apr 26, 2006

3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

scotchman:

The Dillon RL550B uses standard dies from any major manufacturer like RCBS, Hornady, Lee, Forester, Redding, etc.. They also make their own proprietary dies of a slightly different design that can be used too, but are exensive. For my 25 some setups on my 550B I have found that RCBS dies are the best of the regularly priced dies and Lees are the worst (metals must be softer as they are damaged just from normal usages in some cases, easily rust, but their collet neck sizing dies really do work).

My Dillion RL550B is going on 20 years old and keeps on tickin'.

LDBennett