The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK... I started into it once and gave up before I even started. Bought the Lee Anniversary Kit, then, returned it, unopened.
I backed off because I got a bit overwhelmed by all the detail. The different powders, and recipes and where do I get the information for the recipes... It seemed like this would be an unending process of buying more stuff.
So, I'm once again thinking I should be doing, at least, some of my own reloading. Ammo is scarce, as we all know, and, it can get expensive just getting range time.
So, here I go.
I want to reload several different cartridges. But, my primary reloads will be

.40 S&W
I prefer Remington Golden Sabre, 165 gr JHP, as my defensive rd
I'll shoot most any practice rd., but, have been using Federal American Eagle 180 gr FMJ, as my primary practice rd. Mostly because I got a great deal on a bulk ammo purchase. I'd like to move closer to the rds I keep in the gun for defense.

.270 WIN
My preferred rd. in this rifle is Winchester 150 gr Power Point.

.45-90
I have some reloads that a friend made me for this rifle that I need to get to the range to find the best recipe.

30-30
No preference with this one and it doesn't get much range time.

With all that, can the reloading veterans give me a starting point? What should I buy to get going? Can you offer me any recipes I should try to duplicate the preferred loads? I can use +P in my .40 S&W, and I'd like to try some.

I have a friend nearby who is a seasoned reloader and he's going to help me, too. He does tend to go through the process pretty fast, or maybe I'm just slow. Either way, I'm open to any advice I can get.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Here's what I did. I knew I wanted to start reloading, so I did a bunch of research to figure out which press I wanted. Then I decided that I want to start with loading .40 and .45 ACP, so I started looking at loads for them. I know I want to load 165 and 180 gr for the .40, and 200 and 230 gr for the .45, so I looked in the Hodgdon and Accurate load manuals that you can download for free on their websites, and planned a few different loadings. I don't know of anywhere that you can find the exact loading that Remington uses for their Golden Sabre, but you should be able to find a loading that uses that bullet and gets you to the same velocity. Just have to look around some, read through some reloading manuals.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Before you spend a lot of money, it might be a good idea to make sure that primers, powder, and bullets are available. In some places, there are none for sale.

The latest Speer reloading manual will have the "recipes".
Reloading your ammo is not complicated. Getting set up can be expensive, unless you go with something like a Lee loader.

·
Super Moderator
41,694 Posts
I started out by "helping" an older/wiser man who I worked with. I went to his home many times to watch him reload. After a short time of watching, I started helping him do his reloads. When I had been helping him for a few months, he gave me an old single stage press and I was on my way.

Watch your friend for a little while and then pitch in to help him. If he is going too fast on some things, ask him to slow down a little. Ask questions that will cause him to show you how or why he is doing something. That will cause him to have to slow down, anyway, to answer your question or to show you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts